Odd Leyland wheels - why are the hubs different?

Redherring

After the success of my last foray into cyberspace with the 'odd door'. I now have the 'odd wheels' puzzle!

These are the front wheels from my S-type Leyland of 1912-13 vintage. Any ideas as to why the outer hubs are so different? No I haven't had them apart yet. Regards Robert

Leyl LH inner.jpg

Leyl LH outer.jpg

Leyl RH inner.jpg

Leyl RH outer.jpg

Certainly a different format to a few years latter.

Can you post a few photos of the chassis? What else is different?

I would like to compare that with those about here, although currently the stock here starts at 1916.

Doug :undecided:

Doug, As you can see this chassis predates the RAF family. Mike Sutcliffe's Barnsley & District bus is built on a similar chassis - same dimensions apparently. However the front axle is quite different; I haven't seen another axle quite like it or its left front wheel hub. You will find photos of Mikes bus on the web. Rob

Chassis - s.jpg

...However if you check a photo of the other side of Mike's bus you will notice that the rear wheel is of the earlier X-type pattern... as on my Leyland chassis!

I'd not noticed that before!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Barnsley_%26_District_ET_bus_5_%28HE_12%29,_1913_Leyland_S3_Brush,_Crystal_Palace_Park,_6_May_2006_%2803%29.jpg