Hello from Oz

Aussie

Hello all (suppose I should have said "G'Day Mates"). My name is James and I live in Victoria, Australia. I'm just a dabbler but recently purchased a Ferret Mk1 and will be pestering you folks, to find out more about it and how to maintain it. It doesn't quite fit the usual description but looks complete, runs very nicely and is road registered, albeit with what looks like a spray of bullet pocks on left inside wall of driver's compartment. I'll post on the appropriate forum when I get back to the shed and take some pics.

In the meantime, I've had a look around HMVF and must congratulate you all on the quality of the material. I've already got some "good oil" on lubricants and have no doubt that I'll enjoy exploring further!

Thanks for the kind welcome. Rego papers say the Ferret (aka "The Hammer") is 1962. There are a dozen dings on the LHS drivers wall and the random distribution is what makes me suspect they are bullet marks. I've attached some pics (hope not too many) because it does seem unusual. It is 12 feet long (not 12'7" as in manual), has no turret or armour above the deck level, and has spare wheels on both sides. Apparently had bullet proof glass "windscreen" when deployed but this is illegal in club vehicles so is now perspex. Non standard muffler and possibly carbureter but otherwise all the expected bits and pieces. Am told it was a prototype, not deployed by Australian Forces but deployed overseas (I have to check this - perhaps Cyprus or Malta but can't remember off hand or by whom). I have no idea what or where the build/chassis number is - nowhere immediately obvious to me. Anyhow, regardless I love it, and hopefully will be able to find out more about its origin.

Apologies for the pics background - shed's pretty cluttered.

Ferret1.jpg

Ferret2.jpg

ferret3.jpg

Ferret4.jpg

Ferret5.jpg

Ferret6.jpg

Ferret7.jpg

Hi Aussie,

Your Ferret is an ex-Australian army one, as it has the unique strengthening webs at the back of the hull. Someone has cut the top of the hull down to make it into a runaround, not unusual to find over there I think. Definitely not an official modification. Have fun with it.

Forgot to add, the marks inside are from a disc cutter and gas cutting torch.

Are you going to the military vehicle event at Corowa in March?

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Thanks Richard.

Mystery solved! It's great to have such expertise "on tap". BTW could you tell me where I might find some sort of chassis ID details (other than on the now nonexistent turret!).

Off to Spain in March but will keep my eye out for MV meetings.

Thanks Richard.

Mystery solved! It's great to have such expertise "on tap". BTW could you tell me where I might find some sort of chassis ID details (other than on the now nonexistent turret!).

Off to Spain in March but will keep my eye out for MV meetings.

i would say that the hull number is probably lost, as it would have been on the upper hull to right of driver, which has been cut off and replaced by a lighter structure. Is there any number on your rego papers?

i would say that the hull number is probably lost, as it would have been on the upper hull to right of driver, which has been cut off and replaced by a lighter structure. Is there any number on your rego papers?

Thanks Richard - suspected as much. Just engine number(s): with spare I have a choice of B60 No1 Mk6A 10784 (5/66) or 11151 (5/65) but paper says 1388B60N01(!!). Will do some sleuthing with previous owner to see if anyone recorded number before "circumcision", since it would be fun to see where it's been before. However chances don't seem good.