MAN drops

is it me or does this look damn complicated...

You know......I was just thinking the same thing ! Is it squaddie proof ?

Very Thunderbirds & all very fancy.....but will it keep going for as long as a Scammell (call it a DAF if you must) or a Foden? Will they still be in service in 20-25 years I wonder.:-\

H

Its called EPLS not DROPS and has been in service for quite a long time now. If you think the ordinary one looks complicated you want to have a look at the armoured and armed version or so called TES (Theatre Entry Standard)

Ill post a pic or two when I have a moment

The Enhanced Palletised Load System (EPLS) is designed to supplement the existing DROPS vehicles because there are of course not enough of them, by fitting a number of HX77 chassis, which were on the production line, with a HIAB Multilift hooklift system. EPLS is a UOR, the original SV programme did not feature a DROPS replacement and it has pulled vehicles from the existing pool, they are not extras. The main difference between EPLS and the DROPS system is that EPLS can lift standard ISO containers without putting them on a flatrack first, obviously providing much greater flexibility although flatracks are used quite frequently for non container loads like vehicles, trailers or other equipment.

You know......I was just thinking the same thing ! Is it squaddie proof ?

Very Thunderbirds & all very fancy.....but will it keep going for as long as a Scammell (call it a DAF if you must) or a Foden? Will they still be in service in 20-25 years I wonder.:-\

H

They seem to be managing just fine in Helmand province. I remember when folks used to say of the Scammel DROPS "yes but is it squaddie proof?"

Remember that the average british soldier could break an anvil...

They seem to be managing just fine in Helmand province. I remember when folks used to say of the Scammel DROPS "yes but is it squaddie proof?"

Remember that the average british soldier could break an anvil...

forget about the average british soldier, I can break and do everything and anything...

Hi;

Excellant photo`s, i notice your`e from NZ, bright sunshine so is that where photo`s are taken from is it Ashchurch ?.

Here`s some snaps taken at DST of Drops in Training with & without armour. Modern technoligy: laptop for downloading info/clearing faults. If you don`t look after them, it`s all recorded !!

Your photo`s are so clear, your camera must have mega high pixels?

Happy Weekend

Tankysteve

P1010644 (1024x768).jpg

P1010645 (1024x768).jpg

P1010655 (1024x768).jpg

P1010656 (1024x768).jpg

P1010849 (1024x768).jpg

Hi;

Excellant photo`s, i notice your`e from NZ, bright sunshine so is that where photo`s are taken from is it Ashchurch ?.

Here`s some snaps taken at DST of Drops in Training with & without armour. Modern technoligy: laptop for downloading info/clearing faults. If you don`t look after them, it`s all recorded !!

Your photo`s are so clear, your camera must have mega high pixels?

Happy Weekend

Tankysteve

Hi Tankysteve, Thanks for comment's It is a Kodak easyshare C140. has 8.2 meg, Nice little camera I have with me all the time :)

Pictures taken in Wellington area, pre delivery been carried out and then handed over to Military.

But shhhhhhhh don't tell anyone eh ;) lol

• 3 weeks later...
Yep the 6&9 Tonne are useless in BATUS when it's wet, the SVR on the other hand performs brilliantly.(I think I may have said that on here before).

The SVR has the proper chassis/suspension set up. All the other SV's are more based on the road version than the more capable off-road version, there are a lot of differences to the chassis/suspension when you compare are EPLS to the Danish ones who have the full spec Military one.

Its because SVR and the Danish EPLS are based on the SX chassis which has a larger cross section chassis and independent coil suspension. They also have auto gearbox but some may say that doesnt always mean better cross-country.

As i think i have said on here before, UK EPLS and now by look of the pics of the NZ EPLS, they are based on the HX chassis which are indeed more road focussed. UK EPLS are "spare" 15t cargo chassis moved to have EPLS mechanics bolted on.

If UK EPLS, and in fact all the other SV fleet variations had the Michelin tyres, x-country performance would be improved 10-fold.

I went out to Canada when SV first deployed out there and admittedly BATUS had just had the worst rain in years and ALL wheeled vehicles were getting stuck, the first thing me and the trial team said was "tyres, tyres, tyres!" but then it was too late into the program to change anything.