help with rebuilding a snatch landrover

YurtMan

Has anyone out there got any images of schematics of wiring, radio and vehicle kit for the snatch landrover?

currently rebuilding two which seem to have most of the kit bar chassis and engine (Wolf type heavy duty ?), windscreen for one of them, windscreen cages and various bits and bobs.

one has the radio charging unit and both have the power distribution boxes.

also interested to know what sort of air con should be connected to the rather chonked through pipes either side of the front of the body feeding inside.

we heard that the body with doors weighs around 1.2 KG. Does this sound correct?

The vehicle as manufactures by NP Aerospace is listed as being 4 Tonne, although i think this relates to the '4.0 tonne GVW RICARDO Land Rover Defender chassis' and the vehicle must be around 300 KG.

Did the Snatch have uprated axles and springs in addition to the heavy duty chassis?

Also there looks to be an additional dashboard unit below the dash running almost the length. Any ideas what this might be?

And batteries. where were they stored?

very many thanks in advance.

Looks like we've got some work cut out for us!

Matt Carey

Brede.

Hi Matt,

An ambitious project. I would have thought that buying a complete vehicle would have been a cheaper option, but I' all for people with ambition :D

I'm by no means an expert, and I'm more than happy for others with more info to help me learn :bow:

I believe the rear compartment (hamper) does weigh around 1.2 tonnes (1200 kg). I thought the overall weight of the vehicle was around 3.5 tonnes, but don't have anything to base this on other than hearsay. The current Snatch Vixen may based on an up rated 4 tonne Ricardo chassis (the CAV100 brochure I have says it uses the 4 tonnne Ricardo chassis), but based on what I have read this chassis was only developed for the last version of the WMIK Landrover so the original Snatches wouldn't have had this capacity. So i would have thought 3.5 tonne max, I think earlier heavy duty chassis were limited to 3.3.tonne but can't swear to this.

According to the slim MoD publication I have on the Snatch, it uses the Heavy Duty Land Rover Chassis. This publication is dated October 1992 so I think it predated the Wolf Chassis.

It has Salisbury HD axles front and rear (the front ones are unusual and only found on beefy L/Rovers) As such they seem to command quite high second hand prices. Rears seem to go for the £150 mark, but the fronts if you can get them seem to be around £750. I believe the latest Snatch Vixen is fitted with a Diesel, but I'm not sure if it is the standard Wolf 300tdi, a bored out (to 2.8l) version of the Wolf 300tdi, or the Brazillian TGV(??) 2.8 turbo diesel (updraded L/Rover 300 tdi). I also believe that like the latest WMIKs the Snatch Vixen may be fitted with an Auto box, although the standard Snatch has the LT85 and LT230. Aircon was by Ebersparcher (sp) and was fitted in the two compartments behind the drivers and passengers doors. There is an example of the kit for sale on ebay at the moment. I don't know if you have a front bulkhead to go with the windscreen, but from poking around mine recently, it would appear to have a standard steel bulkhead lined with the composite panels.

I hope that helps, and look forward to any other postings you may recieve.

Cheers,

Julian

Hi Matt,

Do you have a Snatch, or have you just bought some rear bodies? I bought a pair of complete vehicles from Withams in the last tender. They were cheap enough. Both started easily and run and drive ok. I have kept one, 26KK46, which I will get round to restoring one day. At the moment I am collecting all the Snatch specific bits when I see them. I have posted quite a few photos to the gallery on my website which you might find useful:

http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=27

If I were you though I'd look at buying some in the next tender sale and save yourself a lot of time and money.

Chris

Chris looking at your photos, I see that some rear body tops are quite clean & green bearing the NI Freephone 0800 666 999.

Do you think those are tops that have been recently fitted from other vehicles or are they where the temporary camouflage coating has been peeled off? If the latter I never realised how cleanly it could be removed.

Hi Clive,

All the Snatches have the NI phone number etc underneath. The first ones shipped to Iraq simply had it painted out. The vehicles which went over after they were desertised still have it visible underneath the material covering. The camo material is barracuda thermal insluation, there's a metal foil type backing with the netting stuff on top. It's held on with velcro and tabs which pass through staples at various places around the body. The velcro is not like normal velcro, the only way I can get it to stick is by hitting it with a mallet!

I'll have to take some more photos next time I'm over at the farm.

Chris

I had a close look at a Snatch Land Rover at Withams the other week for a 'buying used' feature for LRO magazine. It's in the January issue of LRO (currently on sale). The batch Withams has ranges from scrappers to mint ones so that company will have spares as not all the Snatch Land Rovers it has will be restored/rebuilt.

To answer two points from posts above; the desert camouflage is a jacket that fits over the green NI paint and freephone number. The front axle is a heavy duty unit that matches the rear Salisbury diff.

JC

great replies.

i reckon my pod and associated kit was probably a good buy after all then. £99.

on the issue with the bulkhead, wondering if the composite bulkhead replaced or actually fitted onto a steel bulkhead?

have a look at my profile pics where there's an exploded view from the manufacturer.

it seems all it needs is a wolf chassis, V8, (as is Mk1), rad, wings and seats.

i have already snaffled a V8 3.5 carb type rover lump for £200, have seats, have at least one wing, have a spare rad, probably a bumper in the workshop somewhere too.

fairly mint condition interior it seems. looking around some look much more tired and worn.

all the power and bowman mounts are in excellent condition too.

salisbury axles might be tricky.

common on the rear of a series III FFR but not so on defender i imagine.

matt