Older Pattern Smock Liner

Eaglehurst

Jason, you are correct.......NSN 8415 99 137 5028 (the old size 1) for height 150-170, chest 90-100, to 8415 99 137 5032 (the old size 5) for height 170-190, chest 114-124.............there is also a size "special" 8415 99 137 5033........

The liner was introduced circa 1975-76 for the arctic windproof DPM smock, thus was originally made in the old numbered size range, although later production (as with the smock) went "metric" around 1982-83..........

Interestingly, listed as for use with the arctic windproof smock and the '84 pattern combat smock according to the August 86 QM CG lists......:-D

The double row of buttons seems to be standard across the 70's/80's liner range (excl the 'gilet' style) however you do seem to find the lighter brown material more prevalent on the older manufactured liners.

Steve - out of interest in your QM listing is the pattern that followed the 68 specifically referred to as the 84patt? In light of the ongoing debate around patterns/years (and the fact the that I have heard this pattern referred to as 84,85 and 86 pattern) it would be good to get a definitive answer and the QM listing are about as defintive as it gets!

Sadly, no pattern reference...just "smock, combat" :embarrassed:

It is estimated that the so-called "84" or "85" pattern first appeared around this period......

From personal experience, I first saw this pattern on issue in 1984......but no sign of it in 83.....so I personally refer to it as "84" !!!