Bedford MWD

fayjo56

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really coming together and looking good I'll have to call by soon to take dims of everything I need to get my cab floor moving :cool2: wing nut patterns are on their way t'foundry :-D you'll probably need them sooner than I :laugh:

RR.

Great stuff, you efforts on the remanufacture front is much appreciated. I reckon your project will catch up with mine the way you are going!

• 5 weeks later...

Nice new rear mud guards (flaps) now fitted. Rear N/S brake drum and wheel cylinder removed. The brake shoes look ok, wheel bearings look ok. The wheel cylinder is better than I expected. I will dismantle and clean up and have a better look. I guess the only way to know its useable is to re fit and try it when I have sorted the master cylinder.

mwrearwheelcyl002_zps78ab7548.jpg

mwrearwheelcyl005_zpse0062452.jpg

mwrearwheelcyl008_zps08ebf25c.jpg

Edited by fayjo56

Mudguards look good and your brake linings too, I have to replace my rear linings as they are a tad thin plus they look as though they have been contaminated due to rear hubs failing, keep going your nearly there :nut:

Don't forget that the leading shoe linings are twice as thick as the trailing when new, so there is normally a distinct difference in thickness throughout their life.

Yes Richard had noted that, my main reason for changing linings is because of contamination due to hubs seals beginning to fail plus the thinner of the linings are fairly worn and as I have it all apart its easier to do the job now rather than later.

Don't forget that the leading shoe linings are twice as thick as the trailing when new, so there is normally a distinct difference in thickness throughout their life.

The rear o/s wheel cylinder is now apart and could do with new rubbers. I have also removed the front o/s hub and wheel cylinder, which is in really good condition! The 2 brake drums are now painted and under the wheel arches topcoated. I just need to order up some rubbers (any recommendations?) and reassemble.

mwbrakes012_zps24864c8f.jpg

mwbrakes009_zps6661c4b7.jpg

I just need to order up some rubbers (any recommendations?) and reassemble.

I get my seal kits from Past Parts Ltd at Bury St.Edmunds. If there is any doubt on the state of the bore, I send the whole cylinder to them to recondition. Cannot fault their service, have been using the regularly for about 16 years now.

Thank you Richard, will give them a call.

I have had my first go with a honing tool today and the master cylinder and front wheel cylinder have cleaned up a treat, so hopefully just new rubbers are needed. I didn't get much time this weekend, had to work sat morning:cry: then work on the car:(.

• 4 weeks later...

Well progress is still slow, family commitments, car issues and the forthcoming festivities are conspiring to make sure time and cash is short:cry:

I am still working on the area I probably have least experience / confidence / enjoyment in - brakes. The O/S cylinders are re rubbered and back together, as is the master cylinder, so hopefully they will perform OK, time will tell. I shall get on to the N/S as soon as I can.

I have yet to sort a water pump, recon or otherwise, so still can't have her running again:(

All in all a bit frustrated with progress, but I guess many of you have been there! The good thing is 'er indoors refuses to let me give up.

On a positive note, I now have a pair of screens, an early bush bar and a copy of the early parts list thanks to a very good friend on HMVF.

Will post again when things move forward.

Chin up :-D I've had days like that, what with broken springs , knackered bearings and worn out brake cylinders etc etc etc I know how it is and its overcoming these setbacks what makes it all worthwhile in the end :cool2:.

K.B.O. as WS Churchill used to say when things were not going too well.

RR.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Like the front side/ indys what's the story behind them ? I think I'll do that on mine :-D

The body of the lamp is actually a custom/classic car mirror(!):blush: Which my brother then converted with some festoon bulb holders. My vintage Fire Engine has side lights very much like the early MW's and these mirror bodies are almost identical.

I'll take a pic with the lenses on to see what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Following a 'hiccup' (see my thread in lubrication section) she is now running quite well and with good oil pressure. The timing needs a bit of adjustment I think, and the vacuum advance retard on the dizzy doesnt seem to be working. Any advice on these greatfully received.

• 2 weeks later...