• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am enjoying watching this, thank you.

R

Thanks Robin its always great encouragement when members reply to your posts, this is the bigest project I've ever taken on so its very slow on my own.

I'm also looking for a Canadian 20cwt trailer to tow behind my QL once finished so if you know of one for sale;);).

20-cwt_trailer_amsterdam.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Started the nearside front corner of the cab this morning :cry: hope to get back on and finish it off next week.

Another days work, I finished making the 2 panels and started welding them on, should have this part finished when I get back on with it Thursday afternoon.

053.jpg

054.jpg

056.jpg

Edited by Ian L
spelling

Looks good......

What is that data plate, on the left side of the chassis?

Are the sling plates missing on the rear axel?

The date plate is a brass rebuild plate showing its post war registration number, chassis number, date of rebuild & workshop number.

What should the sling plates look like ?

Alright that make sense.

the sling plate like one the front axel, where you use it as a step to get in to the cab, at the rear it is just a flat dics.

Hi Niels.... sling plates on the hubs....yes I have them mate, I just poped the hubs on today to move it.

• 1 month later...
After weeks of cold wet weather we finaly managed to remove the QLs engine/gearbox today, now I can concentrate on finishing the rear body and get the chassis/body shotblasted & painted.

That's really a nice trailer to transport your engine!

• 3 weeks later...

Despite standing since the early 70s the engine ran very well with no smoke & good compression, clutch & gears worked fine.

Messy job over paint stripping and pressure washing, first nasty suprise was a broken lug on the gearbox and a badly chipped gear.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Hi Ian, yes you sometimes you can have some nasty surprises on the engine and gearbox work. So what's the plan with the gearbox, replace with second hand are rebuild? If it was my project I should be looking for a second hand gearbox as the cast lug will be difficult to repair.

I always want to have a look in the engine after this thing has been standing for a long period. The things that I mostly do is to remove the sump to clean the inside and have look at the bearings. The cylinder head is the next think to check and recondition.

Better to have a engine in tip top condition as ones the cabin is back over the engine it is a lot of work to replace engine bits because of the little space in the cabin and round the engine.

But this is only my humble opinion on this subject, and have the full confidence that you will walk tow this problem.

Guy

Hi Ian, yes you sometimes you can have some nasty surprises on the engine and gearbox work. So what's the plan with the gearbox, replace with second hand are rebuild? If it was my project I should be looking for a second hand gearbox as the cast lug will be difficult to repair.

I always want to have a look in the engine after this thing has been standing for a long period. The things that I mostly do is to remove the sump to clean the inside and have look at the bearings. The cylinder head is the next think to check and recondition.

Better to have a engine in tip top condition as ones the cabin is back over the engine it is a lot of work to replace engine bits because of the little space in the cabin and round the engine.

But this is only my humble opinion on this subject, and have the full confidence that you will walk tow this problem.

Guy

Hi Guy I'm now on the lookout for a replacement gearbox, we have decided to remove the sump and cylinder head to start with and go from there.

Ian

Edited by Ian L

Ian, what is the plan with your front windscreen frame's, I just want to ask because if you have thees made new I still have some bits left of mine that can come handy (the hinges and bottom lock).

Better to spare give thees parts to someone to can us thees bits, outer ways it will for scrap!

I can bring this some stuff to war and peace.

Guy;)

Ian, what is the plan with your front windscreen frame's, I just want to ask because if you have thees made new I still have some bits left of mine that can come handy (the hinges and bottom lock).

Better to spare give thees parts to someone to can us thees bits, outer ways it will for scrap!

I can bring this some stuff to war and peace.

Guy;)

Hi Guy I have 3 new (n.o.s) Left Hand frames which I bought off John Morter last year and I am hoping that 'paulbrook' is still going to make some R/H QL frames. if not then I may have to cut up 2 L/H frames to make a R/H but that will be a last resort.

Please bring your spare bits to W&P just incase.

Edited by Ian L

Ian - have you been in touch with ACH at Gt Yarmouth? He had a QL and some parts, maybe a box - and was getting rid of stuff I believe, not sure if he still visits the forum?

Tony

Hi Tony have you got his number mate ?

Ian