Factory or motorpool condition what exactly does this mean?

senschu

'Factory' is as it left the factory so no wear and tear, no in service mods or add ons, paintwork and tyres etc in new condition and all original or at least original pattern parts.

'Motor pool' is as it may have appeared in service which allows a lot of leeway in condition and modifications. It also allows for normal wear and tear.

Both haave merit in my opinion.

I am very much afraid to say that what those descriptions are associated with is the rivet counting spanner *&^%$ types that dwell in dark dimly lit rooms and don't have a life.

I recall with absolute clarity three "judges" at an MVPA event in Tobyhanna in the US a number of years ago looking over a particular Shorland that was on the show circuit a few years back. It had so much kit on it from all different eras and origins it was like mobile multinational surplus store on wheels.

The fact that none of these gents had ever served in the US military and had no clue which end was which on a Shorland bemused me as to how they could "judge" vehicles.

Here endeth the rant

R

'Factory' typically means off the assembly line with no mods. I don't extend that to say 'all new condition'. A worn out jeep could be factory correct, but add in a bustle rack, or MG mount/radio and its not factory correct in my opinion.

'Motor Pool' class is slightly less formal. Parts still need to be correct, but an MB motor in a GPW is not a deal breaker. An F head motor would be. Modifications (either from the manufacturer or field mods made by GI's) are acceptable, but must still be period correct.

Judges are volunteers at events. I give a 'Factory Class winner' the same consideration as an ebay jeep. Until *I* go over it its just an MV.

'Buy the vehicle, not the story'. :)

I recall with absolute clarity three "judges" at an MVPA event in Tobyhanna in the US a number of years ago looking over a particular Shorland that was on the show circuit a few years back. It had so much kit on it from all different eras and origins it was like mobile multinational surplus store on wheels.
Robin I think I know the one you mean. Made me cringe, yes I know the old chestnut it's his vehicle & he can do what he likes with it. Yes but don't present it as a legitimate vehicle. What I found offensive was that it displayed the badge of the Royal Armoured Corps & a Union Flag badge.

The fact that none of these gents had ever served in the US military and had no clue which end was which on a Shorland bemused me as to how they could "judge" vehicles.
Well with all that stuff on it might add to the confusion. But I don't think not being an ex-serviceman is a bar to being an effective judge.