oil change 30w non detergent? ferret

i been told ferret use only straight 30w non-detergent oil, no mutigrade is this true?

i have the reusable oil filter type i was told to rinse out with gas and let dry rollup and reuse is this the correct ?

Yes to both, straight 30 engine oil and its fine to wash out the filter in petrol (gas). A friend of mine steam washed his filter but I would stick with petrol

There's no real reason not to use a detergent oil, it is beneficial in the long term and with modern lubricants you have far better protection than early 1950's oils.We use Morris Lubricants Golden Film SAE30 in the Ruston diesel display engine, it is mildly detergent and good for both petrol and diesel engines of a certain vintage. The Ruston has a total loss oil system for the piston and big end, the mains are ring oiled from a reservoir underneath each bearing.

For the V8 Discovery 2 we use Chevron 10W-40 semi-synthetic diesel oil, which we have used over the past 40,000 miles with absolutely no problems.

People always seem to have a problem with detergent oils, but in my experience over 40+ years they are fine in virtually everything I've ever had charge of, and that includes fleet cars up to Leyland 680 Turbo generator engines.

I have heard horror stories of debris becoming dislodged and blocking oilways, then people say use a flushing oil instead, which is basically a more aggressive detergent oil..... I have never had any debris issues.

For any petrol engine, the best oil has to be used, subject to conditions about viscosity and running temperatures. A multi-grade oil is useless in a cold-running engine.

Peter