1968 Pattern Trousers - HUGE!

Eaglehurst

Why did they make 'em so big ????!!! I once went into stores and had the rare opportunity of not being shown the exit before I'd actually entered.....and tried on a set of 68 pattern combats in my actual size measurements (back then) according to the sizing charts (a 7)......needless to say the suit was bloody enormous.....the trousers and smock were so long I didn't need to wear boots or gloves......

I ended up wearing a size 4 outfit that fitted me well.....though nowadays I seem to have migrated up to a 6 !

This sort-of explains why the vast majority of troops seem to have worn the smaller sizes (1 to 6) with the larger sizes almost redundant. You would think that there would be shed-loads of NOS sizes 7 to 9 out there and whilst some dealers do have stocks of NOS large sizes the volume isn't massive.....and when you do find 'em NOS most trousers and smocks appear to be of the older 68 original issue rather than the later issues from the late 1970's through to 84......in fact, I think I've only ever seen one suit of the later 68 pattern in a size 9.....suggesting that later production was perhaps rather limited....?

Now come on Tony - get real mate - when was the last time you ever saw a QM doing a crash exit out of anything - other than when the bouncers threw them out of the bars and clubs... :cool2::cool2:

Doesn't sound like bouncers (or anybody for that matter) would be throwing a chap that big anywhere!!

• 6 months later...
1968 Pattern trousers - again not unusual - but I do not see many pairs in a size 9....and I would hate to meet the fella who fits into these strides! Absolutely bloody massive - 42in waist and 37in inseam.. :shocked:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52168[/ATTACH]

Hi would you consider selling them?

I've been after a pair in size 8 or 9.

Munch

You have to bear in mind, that in those days. When you 'got into the Mess' (Warrant Officers & Sergeants) things got a lot easier for you. LOTs of evening 'Do's' & Regimental Dinners. Coupled with the fact that a lot of SNCOs did not do BFTs (basic fitness tests) on an annual basis. As the Snco who was ticking off the names of the qualifiying personel who ran in over the line in the specified time. Might WELL have done 'some' snco's a 'Favour' by entering thier name on the list & ticking it off!.....

IE: YOU have passed this years annual qualification SGT so & so. Wink Wink!

& to that end, the old waistline swelled a bit, & trousers in BIGGER sizes were on issue.

It was not uncommon for a real Fat Bas.....er Large bloke. Who shall we say, excelled at Bugling for his Regiment. & won LOTs of bugling competions, & brought honour to his Regiment.

To 'Pass' his fitness tests each year without even running at all!!!!

I have observed some VERY large & Portly chaps in some regiments when I served. (It is NOT common these days, in the fitness & leaness mad Army that exists now)

So the manufacturing of very large sizes today is rare & is a special order bassis for whatever reason may exist.

Also, think of the cost saving in NOT having a lot of large sized clothing on the shelves that will probably never get issued!

Special size clothing can still be ordered today, but is now generally for the individual who is 7'8" and with a 40" inside leg.....I fear the larger waist would not go down well......

From memory, getting a QM to demand outsize kit was a major undertaking....and that was just the paperwork ! Measurements had to be taken, entered onto a form, and a demand sent off.......the stores depot would then process this and if approved send off an order to the current manufacturer of that particular item......the special size garment would then be individually made to the demanded measurements off the normal production line........this obviously involved inconvenience, cost and frequently a huge wait for the ordered items to eventually arrive.......in my unit, when our resident oversize individual's uniform finally arrived, it didn't fit 'cos the bugger had grown another couple of inches !!!:D From memory, he spent almost 2 out of the 3 years he served wearing coveralls........