Muir-Hill

sherminater

:undecided: hi there

can anybody help me to identify any information of how many muir-hills 161 where in the army. As i have a Muir-hill 161 Crane & Dozer i know that they went for trails but it was too heavy to be transported by plane.

hope someone can help me

Sherminater:thanx:

• 2 weeks later...
Lloyd Loaders purchased the Muir Hill name some years ago and have much of the sales information relating to the Muir Hill Factory.

Worth dropping them a line sometime, may be able to help you

http://www.muir-hill.com/

Good luck

i'm sure he will be able to help. He could talk the back legs off a donkey. Can't for the life of me remember his name though and i've been there often enough..must of spent £10,000+ of my old bosses cash on axle and gearbox parts. So happy never to have to work on one again:-D If anybody needs help or advice repairing a muir hill i know many short cuts and work arounds. The manual is a bit over complicated to be honest. I might have forgotten a lot but front axle was a speciality.....:coffee:

i'm sure he will be able to help. He could talk the back legs off a donkey. Can't for the life of me remember his name though and i've been there often enough..must of spent £10,000+ of my old bosses cash on axle and gearbox parts. So happy never to have to work on one again:-D If anybody needs help or advice repairing a muir hill i know many short cuts and work arounds. The manual is a bit over complicated to be honest. I might have forgotten a lot but front axle was a speciality.....:coffee:

Ok, your starter for ten :D

171 Rear axle diff stuck in engaged position. Slave cylinder removed and rocked back and forth, still engaged..... Quick fix?

Not looking forward to taking that axle apart so any work rounds would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Hmmmm......Is it stuck from being left engaged for years or not being used for a long time?It might just be stiff and the master cylinder has managed to push the plunger in but the plunger is too stiff to release. can you get hold of it with a pair of mole grips and wiggle it out. Jack up one wheel so you can turn it to get "slack" in the diff or you will never pull the plunger out. Most likely it is stuck where it passes through the case. We never ran with any foot brakes or diff locks cos the sea water siezed them up so we just used the handbrake. The rear axle is dead easy to strip down. I have changed the rear wheel bearings and seals in about 2 hours. But i always cut the cab support leg and weld it back after rather than undo the bolts holding it to the trumpet. (stick a prop under corner of the tank to hold the cab up) Then use a trolly jack or engine hoist to support the trumpet (Trumpet = one side of the axle case) remove the ring of bolts and smack it with a sledge hammer and withdraw the trumpet from the tractor.

The whole diff will come out of one side but i can't for the life of me remember which side it is so it's just a job of finding which trumpet to remove (have you got a parts manual?) What are the bellows like on the front axle? Is it the same as the 121? and 141?

Have you got hydraulics on yours or a blanking plate? Never use EP oil in any axles cos it eats the phospher bronze brake discs..... The biggest problem we had was the PTO drive flange splines wearing out where it is splined into the engine. That shaft also drives a the hydraulic pump (and in some models another pump) that delivers oil to the top of the Drop Box and the associated shafts and bearings. If your hydraulics stop working remove the plate at the back of the drop box and check the shaft is turning. no oil to the drop box= disaster:embarrassed: the same oil also works is way to the gearbox to maintain that level although there is a pointless dipstick in the gearbox from the ford application. But then again the 171 might be compleatly different.......:nut: