Yet another Jeep

dog107

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard and nice job on your Jeep :-D

See Ashley - that is the colour your Jeep should be :-D

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D Says he who drove around in a red gmc :eek: :eek: be for he felt the need to follow the crowd, by casting off the coat of individuality :wink:

though i`ll never know why the jeep was released by the army, Khaki coloured, i do like the appearance of it, and though modest and shy i may be, its my little bit of extrovertness :banana:

Unless i `ve had a few pints or got mixed up with the wrong chip shop crowd

Ashley

Hi guys

thanks for the comments. Ashley, sorry about the choice of green, but this is an ex British Army Jeep, supplied under contract No 2275. It was rebuilt on 13 04 1952 by the 23rd Heavy Workshop R. E. M. E. who were I believe at Wetter in Germany at that time. The rebuild plate gave the post war reg as 93 YH 19 from which I was able to trace the war time number M5845301. Being a R. E. M. E. rebuild it is a 44 Ford chassis with a 43 Willys body on it.

The nearest I have come to "spotting" the bonnet number was M5845586 the HQ Jeep for Prince Bernhard commander in chief of the Netherlands Forces and 5844685 a Ford GPW belonging to the Czech Armoured Brigade.

In 52-53 The jeep was sold to the Norwegian Army from there it was re imported back to blighty in the mid 80's. That's about all I know/can guess.

cheers

Michael

Hi dog107,

out of intrest how did you manage to trace the wartime number through the post war registration???? Mine was 46YJ36 according to the rebuild plate

intersting to see a wartime jeep portrayed in its post war guise rather than the typical U.S. guise

Ashley

Please do ,

and ifyou can remember i would be pleased to try and trace if possible any history of my own jeep, like wise as far as i know mine being approx january 1945 went in to service with the British army untill it was released in 1959.

Ashley

Hi Ashley

Here is a scan of a copy of the vehicle key card that covered my vehicle.

width=640 height=560http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/dog107/Jeep/recordcard.jpg[/img]

You can see my jeep 4th from the bottom. As you can see It doesn't give you much. It gives you the chassis no. and the war time no (mine is M5845301) it gives you the contract no. I belive that contract SM2275 covered most british jeeps. And it gives you the date it was sold off. I presume that the CR refers to the depot that it was sold from. I got this key card from the as was Beverley Museum of Army Transport. This has now closed and I don't know where the cards were moved to. The Rebuild plate gives you the Unit that rebuilt your jeep and the date. The reme museum can give more details as to where that unit was at the time. Mine was rebuilt in the Demag factory in Wesser in Germany in April 52. I know of one other Jeep rebuilt in that factory.

hope this is some help. I have heard that there are people out there that claim to be able to tell which unit your jeep served with but i've never found them.

cheers

michael

I would rather break my Jeep rather than not use it. But I figure that it did about 45 years military service. If the combined efforts of the British and Norwegian army's failed to break it what chance have I. Anyway just running on to the end of a rope isn't going to do any damage, unless the tree falls on it!

cheers