Towing a jeep

jonesy

Next year I'm planning on doing more shows around the UK with my jeep but I want to get a lightweight car transporter trailer. However, I own a Ford Focus 1.6TDCI and I'm unsure if the weight of the jeep plus trailer will exceed the cars' legal limit.

Does anybody tow a jeep with a similar sized car?

Neil.

That's a borderline thing.

The WIKI gives a jeep kerb weight at around 1100Kg, a suitable trailer, like an Ifor Williams LT105, weighs not less than 500Kg, even the size below that, the LT85, is 450Kg.

The current Focus 1.6 Diesel has a range of maximum towed weights from 1200Kg to 1500Kg, so you would really have to nail the maximum towed weight of braked trailer your particular model car would tow, take 1100Kg off that, and find a trailer that weighed the same or less than the difference. You'd probably have to find some real lightweight ( = expensive ) trailer, preferably two axle to avoid too much hitch weight - hence my mention of the Ifors.

If you are thinking of moving it, as far as I know it is illegal to use a tow dolly for anything other than recovery of a broken-down or damaged vehicle, and putting it on an A-frame behind the Focus turns into a world of pain depending on whether or not you have a driver in the towed vehicle ( taxed, MOT'd, insured, etc etc ) or if you are towing it empty in which case it would be an 'unbraked trailer' and over the 750 Kg limit.

At the minute you might be better off negotiating a deal with a local beavertail Transit owner, and long-term you might want to make sure that the replacement for the Focus has as much trailer weight capacity as you can get.

There is a very handy forum for this sort of question;

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/forum/25-roads-policing/

... but I expect if you ask there you'll get much the same sort of answer as I've summarized above.

Hi,

Gordon_M has summed it up nicely. You can search the forum for other posts on this topic, but iam afraid the answer will be the same.

There have been adverts (occaisonally) for small trailers for sale it may be just keep looking around for the one that fits the bill. It tok me over a year to find a trailer for my jeep basically due to cost as they are never that cheap.

sorry

Ashley

As well as the above, don't forget to take into account the costs of accelerated wear and tear on the tow vehicle clutch, tyres, drivetrain, suspension etc.

I would suspect fuel economy and top speed of a 1.6 Focus + Jeep on trailer will probably be the same as those of the Jeep on its own, but far less fun and more stressful to drive.

- MG

I dont trailer my Jeep, I carry it on a 3.5 tonne Transit, we use trailers at work and they are not cost effective if I am using the ferry.... additional cost. The vehicle is much more stable on the truck and I travel in relative comfort, particularly if its raining or very cold. This is very much an age thing of course, my old bones wont stand up to the constant battering of the Jeep suspension. I do realize that I am missing out on a lot of the fun driving the Jeep, but when you consider that I was driving them for real in Germany in the mid 50s, "A" they were a lot newer, "B" I was a lot younger........... so I have been there, done it, got the "T" shirt. ( I really do love my Jeep, I have had it a long time, and I would never sell it) Have fun.

Next year I'm planning on doing more shows around the UK with my jeep but I want to get a lightweight car transporter trailer. However, I own a Ford Focus 1.6TDCI and I'm unsure if the weight of the jeep plus trailer will exceed the cars' legal limit.

Does anybody tow a jeep with a similar sized car?

Neil.

Hi Neil.

I tow my 44 GPW behind my 19' Fiat Ducato Motorcaravan on a braked 'A' frame all year round, check out this site http://www.caratow.com/home.php you can buy direct from them or get one on ebay for about 1/3 cost.

They dont make the braking part for a Jeep as there is not enough demand but I designed one which could be made in about 1 hour (dimensions if you need it)

This year alone we have been to W&P (Beltring) with her and about 5 shows plus several weekends away.

We have just got home from a touring holiday around Devon/Cornwall (towing the Jeep for about 580 miles) and stopped off at the Great Dorset Steam Fair on the way home.

The Jeep covered about 500 miles while in Cornwall & we had the best fun ever in her.

It gets looks & questions wherever we go & great interest in the braking system, but before anybody pops their head above the parapet and comments about transmission wear I have fitted freewheeling hubs to the front & blanking plates to cover the removed halfshafts (long journeys only)

I would post photos if I could, please help there !!!!!!!!

Ian

P.S. This would be well in your GTW with a Focus at 1.1 ton