Planning on taking our MV on Holiday across Northern Europe

Mattyboy

Ok here's the Plan, my good friend and I are planning a little road trip with our old trucks, something a little more adventurous than popping a few miles down the road to a local rally and sitting there all weekend drinking cups of tea.

We know where we want to start, centre of London (it's only 30 or so miles away) then drive to Dover, get the boat and then off to Paris, maybe a steam rally or show in France somewhere, across to Belgium, then Holland (never been there) and back to Harwich.

We would like to do it in August next year over a few weeks and try and raise money for our local charity and gain some sponsorship along the way, our trusty steeds are a AEC Matador and an Explorer both in civilian spec. For us it will be an epic adventure, the furthest I have ever been is 75 miles; for some of you who have done this kind of trip into Europe before, it would be a 'walk in the park' so Guy's I have lots of questions and advice needed, where should we go? What legal stuff do we need to be aware of and how many pairs of shorts do I need to pack?

But before anyone asks, yes we are as confident as you can be, that they are both good for the miles!

Over to you.........

There are lots of requirements and regulations that you need to be aware of. For example, we travel to Arnhem, Holland each year and there are restrictions at certain times when travelling on the auto-routes (Peak times) when you have to be able to maintain a speed at least comparable to that of the commercial traffic (Trucks @ 56mph). The reason being, the auto-routes are dual carriageway and the trucks are banned from the outside lane during these times. which means effectively that they cannot overtake slower moving vehicles, of course they do overtake, but they tend to give you a very long blast on their airhorns..... because they are risking prosecution. In these days of instant communication I am sure that some motorists will even notify the police, we have been stopped in the past and warned. You now need to carry Hi-vis jackets for ALL the people in the vehicle, you need a reflective warning triangle for each vehicle and a selection of replacement light bulbs. I assume of course that you already have your temporary export license???

I am sure that I have missed somethings, but someone will bring you up to speed in subsequent posts.

If you do go, Have a nice and safe journey.

I've travelled all over Europe and even over to Iceland in a variety of vehicles. Apart from having the vehicles in top notch, and checking out the specific requirements of each country as mentioned above, main thing I have found is to ensure you have your insurance and all relevant paperwork up to date and current for the duration of your trip, and ensure you have plenty of wriggle room (you don't want to discover you have a problem, need to leave the vehicle somewhere and find your insurance won't cover you beyond x days in Europe).

Its worth bringing a list of possible spares suppliers both in the UK and Europe, remember it may be easier to call someone in the UK and have something overnighted to you than trying to communicate to someone locally what you need (especially if you don't speak the local lingo).

More than one credit card is also a good plan, just in case.

And remember - regardless of what spares you bring, sods law says you won't have the item you need when it breaks, and you won't need anything you have brought with you.

Most of all - remember why your going - this is supposed to be fun and an adventure, not an ordeal - so give yourself plenty of time and be prepared to take a break and have a brew up or a glass of the local plonk if it all gets too much.

Remeber, bulbs, fire extingusher , warning triangles and hi Vis clothing for each passenger. I tend to stay off the autoroutes where possible, at the speed your doing why not sight see on lovcal roads? :D I also have a little flag of each country and fly that and the Jersey flag from the front of the Dodge, like a courtersey ensign on a yacht. goes down well with the locals. And beam alignmet alterers. The tempoary export licence, I'm registered keep filling in forms and sending offf , Damm all response and never been asked.

Edited by Tony B

I know the French are not overly pleased if you carry large amounts of fuel in jerry cans, i believe you are allowed one 20l can. However the ferry company's don't always allow you to take any.

We regularly take vehicles across to France. From my experience, take plenty of tools, hoses, oil lines (the sort of bits that could actually have you very stuck somewhere), jubilee clips, spare petrol hose, oil, water. Do not forget a good jack, chocks and axle stand(s) - you never know where you might actually need to use them, and it could always somewhere which is not flat and solid ground. I would avoid motorways, the main roads are plenty good enough and as said elsewhere, you get to see the real country... High vis jackets, warning triangles, spare bulbs, first aid kit etc are required. I have sorted the OGEL out with no problems, but i know that others have had problems with the 'system'. Just to avoid having to have the conversation, remove jerry cans, axes spades etc which might be stowed on the outside of the vehicles and put them inside - it just saves you having to have the conversation about them. Spare charged batteries for mobiles saved us from a lengthy wait once as well. As said elsewhere, allow plenty of time to get to where ever you are going. I would also recommend an old bed sheet or something similar, that way if you are taking anything apart at the side of the road, put it under whatever you are working on - if that vital set screw inexplicably flies out of you fingers, at least it will end up on the sheet and not lost in the long grass (or short grass and gravel in the case of one of the screws for the half track distributor once)!

Ken

Thank you for your replies, most of which is not an issue; Insurance is fine, spares are not an issue (I sell matador spares, see my other posts) I always carry oil, water, fuel tools, recovery equipment in my storage lockers just in case, I am aware of the regulations regarding high viz jackets, bulbs and warning triangles etc and as for time, well we will come home when we are ready! There will be a back-up team in cars and my parents live in France, so it's things like boat or train? know any good routes, places to visit? regualations for travelling on roads in Holand and Belgium, that kind of info I am after

thanks again

I know the French are not overly pleased if you carry large amounts of fuel in jerry cans, i believe you are allowed one 20l can. However the ferry company's don't always allow you to take any.

They seriously DO NOT like them! Understandable really. If you have any on the vehicle exterior they should be display only anyway. I always open the top of mine, then the loaders can easily check that they are empty, and more importantly fume free! The fumes can play hell with the fire detection system. As for places to visit, where to start! DO try to be at Iperes for the 8 o'clock Menin Gate ceremony (And try to drive through just after, the intrest from spectators will do your ego the world of good! ) The V3 site at

Memequcyes is now open to the public. The Atlantic Wall museum at Zebrugge, and Middleburgh and Walcheren. Try to get to Middelburgh on a Monday when they have the market in the square. http://www.campingmiddelburg.nl/uk/english.html Great place if Rennie is open at the time your going. Doesn't bat an eyelid when a dozen military vehicles including armour show up. They also have the 'Crazy Street' nearby, well worth a visit.

Edited by Tony B

• 2 weeks later...