Rauceby War Weekend

Since it's only about 10 miles from me, self & the wife popped over for a couple of hours.

I'll put some photos up eventually.

Compact show, an elected array of vehicles, as soon as you walk in through the entrance (£5 a head, free parking), there was an M4 HST, with a Bren Carrier next to it (Brake problems, so it didn't go into the ring). Must've been 6 or so Jeeps around the place, a big REO and 2 or 3 other bib trucks, a neat Morris 15cwt and a Bofors 40mm.

Also a number of cars, from WW2 vintage, up to the "My dad/grandad had one of those" 50's & 60's stuff. Two fire engines, old Austins, both in a fetching pale grey, one a van, the other a turntable.

Plenty of period dressers, both uniformed (Didn't stop for the battle, but I pity the German side, only saw one & he must've been in the Volksturm!) and in civvies.

A couple of passes were made by one of the BBMF's Spitfires, in a very fetching, all-over silver, scheme.

A good mix of stalls, picked up a few books for holiday reading, if you were after items of uniform and the like (Wife wouldn't let me buy a Lugercry.gif or general rammle, you'd probably find it. Entertainment laid on, beer tent & food, a bit of a play area for kids (roundabout & little jeep things).

Dance on tonight apparently.

So, enough to give us locals an afternoon's entertainment, good value for a fiver.

Spent 3 hours there today (well, yesterday now!) with the family & apart from the torrential downpour around 4pm (complete with hailstones - so much for the English summer!), we had a very enjoyable time.

A good selection of MVs & re-enactors/living history groups & the 'battle' at the close was quite entertaining, pitting a half-a-dozen or more fallschirmjager (with mortar team) against two jeep loads of British paras. :)

Definitely one for the diary again next year,

Kevin

We popped to the show on saterday on our way to hull and am glad we did , saw some nice vehicles and there were quite a few more stalls there than i,d expected , we even had enough sunshine to enjoy one of the homemade ice creams from the van which kept the missus happy , we enjoyed the time we spent there , thnkyou

A few photos from the event. Click on image to enlarge.

19430778_th.jpg

Someone's Jeep, with someone driving.

19430779_th.jpg

Turntable with ladder not fully extended. The wife was diappointed, that they didn't use the hose. Today's schoolday experience, was finding out where the phrase "To show a clean pair of heels" came from, if you couldn't see the bloke's heels, don't extend/retract the ladder, otherwise he'd be toeless!

19430777_th.jpg

The second fire appliance.

19430775_th.jpg

The injured Bren Carrier.

19430774_th.jpg

Morris 15cwt.

19430773_th.jpg

Army Truck! (Anyone else remember Camberwick Green?)

19430772_th.jpg

REO, complete with "Blues & Twos"

19430771_th.jpg

M4 HST, first one of these I've seen "In the flesh"

19430776_th.jpg

BBMF Spit did a flyby, looks absolutely superb in silver!

I went on Monday, I live about 400 yards away so had to go really. I managed to buy 4 NOS L4A1 Bren LMG mags for £14. I would have bought the rest if I had more spare cash on me. They usually go for £25 to £30 each so I was well chuffed.

:wow: £14 for 4, definatly a bargain!!!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

JUST BEEN TOLD BY THE SHOW ORGANISER FOR THE RAUCEBY WAR WEEKEND THE DATES FOR NEXT YEARS EVENT ARE THE 25th 26th & 27th OF AUGUST 2012 WE HAVE BEEN EVERY YEAR SINCE IT STARTED AND ITS GETTING BETTER & BETTER ,CRACKING WEEKEND WITH GOOD ROAD RUNS GOOD TO GO IN YOUR DIARY :):):)

• 2 weeks later...