feeding fuel ?

richard sweeney

Question

17 answers to this question

hi rich .i have an old jerry can with a air hose connector welded into the top. attach rubber hose to can then to carb .put can on roof :nut: . she should run mate,

so if i get a normal jerry can filled with petrol , take the cap off and put a hose into the petrol in the can then feed it to the carb would that work or does it need to be an air tight seal on jerry can ?

which bit of carb do you attach it to ?

Richard it immediately passes through a needle valve (obviously operated by the float) so it won't get swamped with fuel. Earlier in the year on two Pigs I had occasion to get started after some years, I found the needle valve would stick & it would stop running. I managed to free them with some modest tapping with a hide hammer in the vicinity.

If the vehicle hasn't run for a while a good soack in propritery carb cleaner spray can help a lot. But then so does brake cleaner spray, dosen't seem to be much diffrence. Alternatley take the carb off and soack in parrafin. That should remove any varnish or muck in the carb.

she is started !! :D amazing, so pleased :D now the big work starts...

ran for 30 seconds before running out of fuel . revs where around 1000 rpm and when i went to press the accelerator revs died off but i guess i can adjust this by using a jubilee clip on the pipe to control petrol flow ? is it a good idea to warm her up properly now ? thanks everyone for your help especially clive whos provided me with bits of knowledge that have helped me no end

If the engine is dying when acelerater is pressed that sounds like you may have something not working right. I'm not familiar with the carb so don't know if there is a pump or such like. Though it could be electrics. Before warming up have you done an oil change?

If the engine is dying when acelerater is pressed that sounds like you may have something not working right. I'm not familiar with the carb so don't know if there is a pump or such like. Though it could be electrics. Before warming up have you done an oil change?

that crossed my mind aswell just looking over the manuals to check whats inside the carb that might be playing up. I drained the old oil off and left it to seperate but it didnt, i then left it in heat to evaporate any petrol , checked a sample after mixing and it wasnt combustable so i put it back in to the correct level. - so can i warm her up or not really ?

One trick that night help . Get a piece of 2x1 about two foot long. When the engine is running place one end aginst the engine block and other end to ear. If there are any nasty noises then you'll hear them and be able to locate accuratley. Got to be started and warmed up some time, just be very careful don't be tempted to rev the nuts out of it. Watch your coolant level. I'd use fresh oil as a matter of course. Another trick on an engine that has been sitting is to warm some engine oil in an old pan till it starts to glaze and smoke slightly. Then pour a bit into each cylinder and turn the engine by hand without plugs. That helps to ensure everything is free before going over to power. Other important question, what colour smoke did you get when she ran?

im keeping the revs as low as possible untill the oil change but whats your opinion on if i can warm the engine up?

thanks for the tips im going to get some more petrol and listen out for any noises using the technique youve said.

i will also do the trick with the oil that you suggested, i want the pistons moving freely up their bores before increasing revs.

the smoke was whitish to start - i assumed this was the corrosion X and WD40

Yes, white isn't to bad at the moment, especially with the stuff in it. Probably blowing condensation out of the exhaust as well. Got be warmed up[ sometime, sounds like you have everything in your favour. Just do it slowly and carefully keep checking levels and look out, listen and smell for anything nasty, be prepared to shut down quickly. She may well blow black and grey for a few minutes so have plenty of ventilation.

Edited by Tony B

Yes, white isn't to bad at the moment, especially with the stuff in it. Probably blowing condensation out of the exhaust as well. Got be warmed up[ sometime, sounds like you have everything in your favour. Just do it slowly and carefully keep checking levels and look out, listen and smell for anything nasty, be prepared to shut down quickly. She may well blow black and grey for a few minutes so have plenty of ventilation.

going to warm it up properly this weekend just need to get enough fuel !

just been run for 5mins , i didnt touch accelerator just had the fuel runing in and choke on setting one. revs where 1000rpm then when i clamped the fuel line slightly revs dropped a bit , will this drop to normal when its hot and choke is turned off?

also the coolant temp reads max all the time , when fiddling with the wires behind the instrument panel it sometimes moves off max but then straight back. Open circuit?

just been run for 5mins , i didnt touch accelerator just had the fuel runing in and choke on setting one. revs where 1000rpm then when i clamped the fuel line slightly revs dropped a bit , will this drop to normal when its hot and choke is turned off?

Make sure the accelerator linkage is allowed to return to minimum & that a return string is in place. A return spring is often fitted on the choke cable. But I never use the choke & have disconnected it.

The starting procedure in NI was no choke, foot down twice on accelerator then foot off & start up. I find at start up I need the accelerator depressed & held about 15% down appx

also the coolant temp reads max all the time , when fiddling with the wires behind the instrument panel it sometimes moves off max but then straight back. Open circuit?
Yes

Make sure the accelerator linkage is allowed to return to minimum & that a return string is in place. A return spring is often fitted on the choke cable. But I never use the choke & have disconnected it.

The starting procedure in NI was no choke, foot down twice on accelerator then foot off & start up. I find at start up I need the accelerator depressed & held about 15% down appx

Yes

ah right , the return spring was missing so i used one from a renault 5 that appears to fit .

Im only feeding petrol in via a bottle. If i had fuel in the line coming from the bottle and pressed the accelerator pedal would it still prime ?