LUBRICATION ORDER - Novice Needs Helps To Source Equivalents

Vulture

Guys

With my recent purchase of a CCKW 325 I've been busy looking through the manual (TM9-801). I want to give the vehicle a service, a change of oils, grease up etc.

Here is the UK I feel I should be fine going with a range specified for +32 degrees down to 0 degrees.

Following this rationale I'm looking down the Key on the Lubrication order L0 9-801

Engine Oil: OE 10

Gear Lubricant: GO 90

Grease General Purpose: CG 0

Grease General Purpose: Navy Spec 14L10

Hydraulic Fluid

Oil Lubricating Preservative

Oil lubricating Light

Grease (for Ball and Roller Bearing) Navy Spec 14L3 Gr11

Lubricant (for chain, exposed gear and wire rope)

Can anyone help this novice out tell me what they use for these (and if possible where they source them from in the UK).

I've tracked down Morris Lubricants for engine oil. They seem to sell OE 10, but holly s***e they only do it in 25ltr containers costing £ 76 !!! :wow:

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=294&product=Golden+Film+SAE+10+Classic+Motor+Oil

Many thanks for your help

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
To add a link

That Morris oil is a SAE 10 oil. Far too thin (when hot). I think it is generally accepted that you need SAE 30 oil in a Jimmy.

There is also a debate as to using either a straight (mongrade) oil like SAE 30 or a mutligrade (e.g. 15W40). If you want to get into this, start on the basis that the engine is designed for straight oil with a BYPASS filter - in this arrangement the oil dumps the big bits of crap in the sump and the finer bits are carried around, being caught by the filter on approx 6th circuit.

Compare this with a modern set-up using multigrade oil and FULL FLOW filtration - the multigrade oil carries all particles around with it in suspension and passes through the filter each circuit.

You can appreciate the difference I'm sure. But whether your engine will is another question altogether :cool2:

I'd always run my Jimmy on 15W40 with no problems - after a bit of tlc and thinking about filtration aspects (which someone posted on here a while back) I decided to go to SAE 30. It didn't seem to like the change (glazed up, but may just have been coincidence through change of use pattern), so after a top end rebuild and advice from those who've run them for donkeys years I've gone to 20W50.

Bet that's confused you hasn't it? :cool2: That makes two of us then :banana:

Be interesting to see what others use and why :coffee:

Edited by N.O.S.

Should do, as would this Morris one :)

I know of quite a few running on 15w40. I would probably still be too if I hadn't started thinking about filtration aspects. I've come to the conclusion you can get a bit paranoid about oil. But it would be interesting to know what other folk run on!

Edited by N.O.S.

I chnaged to the Halford's Classic Q20/50 a couple of years ago when I couldn't get the normal Valvoline quick enough. And I must say I have be very suprised and happy with it. It's actually a semi synthetic and gives much steadier pressure after a long hot run.