Carrier Wheel Grease Nipple Thread

listerdiesel

Long ago, about 2-3 years or so, we bought some carrier wheels (unknown to us at the time) for a trolley to put our Ruston diesel on. After a couple of posts on here, I subsequently did a swap with another forum member as 'my' wheels were more suitable for his carrier than the ones he had.

After getting rid of the remains of the rubber, we turned the circumference down and with a suitable adhesive, fitted 1" strips of rubber to form tyres. That worked out well, and we also fitted 2" ID wheel bearings rather than the original 1-1/4" (?) ID size, as they were cheap as chips to buy, and we had to make the axles anyway.

We are now ready to go, but we have two holes per wheel which are for grease nipple and relief nipple respectively (I believe, they may have had two grease nipples) What I need are the thread details and/or some decent nipples to fit, of the grease variety :-D

The wheels are Ford Canada, so I'm assuming 3/8" NF or NPT or something along those lines.

The new bearings are sealed so the nipples are purely for show and to keep water out of the hub.

Any help would be appreciated, please.

RustonTrolley1.jpg

a>RustonTrolley21.jpg

RustonTrolley22.jpg

RustonTrolley23.jpg

Peter

Edited by listerdiesel

Any bearing stockist or agricultural engineer worth his salt should have them/be able to get them easily.

NF/BSP/METRIC nipples are all still common use.

If they object, let me know and i'll get em locally here for you :-D

Oh, by the way, I take it these are for effect........... You aren't going to try and grease sealed bearings, ahem, thought I would mention it....:cool2:

Alec.

I feel an Aspirin coming on.... :D

You can see now why I asked in the first place!

I have got the bearing caps turned up for the fixed axle now, will get the others done tomorrow:

RustonTrolley36.jpg

RustonTrolley37.jpg

The caps are turned up from 25mm thick Dural bar, there's an M16 cap head screw bearing onto a 6mm thick stainless washer to hold it all together.

Peter

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread to ask another question:

Is there a supplier for re-tyring old wheels?

I have another set of wheels (for another engine trolley) but after asking commercially about new tyres being moulded onto the rims, I had to go and lay down in a darkened room for a while! :-D

The ones we did previously suffered from lack of adhesive adhesion as it were, although we have some new Bostik plus activator to try.

The wheels only turn a few revolutions a year, so we may well persist with the rubber strips, but if there is a 'proper' solution that is within financial reach, I'd like to hear about it.

First outing this year is to Nuenen in May.

Peter

from what i can gather listening in to other carrier owners who've re rubbered wheels £250 a piece seems to be the norm but there is another solution, you could leave the original rubber on and turn it down on the lathe to the correct dimension or until the scabby bits were gone, that is assuming there's enough rubber left on the wheel.

rick

The little I know about it suggests it would be more difficult to build up existing rubber.

Take a carrier wheel, cut or burn the existing rubber off it, blast and prime, then just hand it to the rubber place. They will have a cross section they can glue on or wind on till it it the correct size, then they autoclave it till it is nicely cooked.

Fitting slightly less rubber, or a different cross-section, might be a hair cheaper but ultimately more fiddly that just replacing the lot, especially if you were doing several wheels.

Thanks for the comments, £250 - £350 a wheel seems to be the going rate, but I haven't got that kind of money for something that only turns a few rev's a year.

In most cases the old rubber is perished to the point where it is disintegrating, so I'll have to persevere with the strip rubber for now.

If I find a better solution, I'll post back here.

Thanks again,

Peter