b/w pic

Willyslancs

Yeah, but a US gallon is smaller so not that cheap. :whistle: Looking at the pnumatic tyres, tractor tyres such as that didn't come in till about 1932, so the trucks must be getting on even then. Wonders of the internet. The 20 cent price for fuel comes in at 1930.

Edited by Tony B

Reference the tyres. Goodyear were producing pneumatic tyres for trucks by 1917 and in April of that year ran a Packard the 720 miles on them as a publicity stunt from Akron to New England, U.S. It took 28 days and 28 tyres !. In the early 1980s a similar E series Packard was restored as such. Reconditioned F.W.Ds from Slough were being advertised with pneumatic tyres in the early 1920s.

Richard Peskett.

Goodyear Packard.jpg

Those look to be identical tyres! I keep forgetting the USA was far more advanced in terms of vehicles at that time. Didn't have the rail network.
:-)

I think I remember father saying the Americans used vehicles like the peerless (and others) with their solid tyres to drive around the streets carrying a form of magnet underneath to clean up objects that would damage pneumatic tyres