Scammell Explorer winch Information required

millmarsh

Hi. Can anyone give me some information on how the winch operates? It appears to be stuck/rusted solid at the moment, I have managed to free up the brake and PTO leavers in the cab but the drum still won't budge. I don't want to force it until I understand how it all works so I don't knacker anything up. I have removed the pto shaft from the gearbox to the winch and the pto works as it should

Any information greatly appreciated..

Also if anyone has any info on the lorry its self please let me know as I only bought it last year and now getting round to getting it on the road. Its reg is RFO 918, chassis no. 7879, vehicle no. 91 BD 81 and the winch is stamped with 18.06.1953 and I believe it spend some of its life with a fair/circus?

also have a look at the centre drum shaft bushes. top and bottom to make sure they are free. if the brake band is free this could be the problem. Give them a good socking with WD40 or diesel.

Hope this helps

Clive

Ok....To let the winch pay out cable....PTO should really be out of gear and the big brake leaver by the drivers door must be released, Also the winch drive dog clutch must be disengaged. This is the leaver on the rear wall of the cab between the seats.I think it should be pushed away from you to disengage the dog clutch. You should now be able to wander off with the end of the winch rope in your hand...... Or if its stiff like mine fasten it to a land rover and drive off:)

To winch in......Apply the winch brake firmly, engage the PTO and then engage the winch drive dog clutch....You normally have to fettle the clutch to get the dog in. You are now ready to winch in and the operation is controlled by the clutch. The winch brake has a ratchet inside the drum which will be heard clicking when winding in, It should hold the load when you depress the clutch.

Things to look for are....Winch brake stuck to drum....The serving gear rollers out of time with the winch drum.....Pressure rollers siezed or bent out of shape cos the serving gear is out of time. Good luck.. Mine was bloomin stiff and still is cos i never use it:)

The previous owner of my Explorer stripped the winch completely as it was seized solid on the vertical shaft. It took him nearly 2 bottles of acetylene to free it off! Now it just sticks on the brake band which has swelled with rust, again needing a Landrover, or tree attached to pull out.

Jules

Cheers for the replies.

Right.. I have freed the winch brake drum off, and have removed the bottom cover on the vertical shaft and have found this was full of water:( I have also tried pulling it out with my 5 ton folklift but drum still won't turn..