Sankey questions

Hi, seeing as I have just picked up an N/T sankey but dont know to much about them I thought I needed somewhere to ask all the silly questions I may come up with, many thanks in advance What year did they start making N/T trailers? How do I find out which company made my trailer? its reg number is 24 ET 87, am I right in thinking it was built in 1968?

Sankey & Brockhouse initially were the principal manufacturer's. There should be a contract plate on it, if you give me the contract number I may have it on my list & be able to say what it is. If you want to get this thread really moving, a few pictures will get people joining in:D

Here are a couple of photos of my new toy behind my defender

Its basicly solid with a little rust along the front of the tub and around one wheel arch, I will be setting a sand blaster to work on it soon and I have a full set of bug eye lights to go on just as soon as I get the time

The plate states was covered in sand coloured paint

Trailer, cargo, 3/4 ton 2wh.-Sankey

Cont. No. wv/5307

Vehicle No 24 ET 87

Chassis No 212

Code No 2855,0790

Covered by ces No P/33984/3

And on the side is a small brass plaque which reads Assembly no FV392970

Hope this makes sence to you all

Cheers

Shaun

002.jpg

003.jpg

I think you will find that in the case of the FV2361 (narrow-track) the chassis & all other gear (other than wheel rims from Sankey) were in fact manufactured by Rubery Owen, they were then depending on Contract bodied & electrics finished in the main by Sankey Ltd (GKN) , others by Pressed Steel Co and Roots Pressings (Scotland) Ltd.

These were all like peas out of a pod (other than the nomenclature plates). The main difference being the last of line by Sankey (abt. 1975) - these have a slightly different tub (lay on spot welded plates) , no brass drainers as the construction is not so watertight BUT with a transom flap above the rear NATO pintle..

IMG_1223-1.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

• 11 months later...

Just having a flick through to see what I can find about sankeys as I did mine up a few years ago and never worried about maintainence as everythuing is working fine but have just relised mine was the next one done the production line after tinweasle's, at work at the mo so can get pics of mine but got the info here on my phone,

Trailer, cargo, 3/4 ton, 2 wh. sankey

24 ET 88

Chassis number 213

Contract no wv/5307

code no 2855,0790

Covered by ces no p/33984/3