Small story from Sunday

Hi all

Just thought I would share a small story from Sunday

I took my Jeep to a local village to take part in their Rememberence Day Parade. There was 2 Jeeps, a Jimmy and a K2.

The idea was we could carry a few old Folk, who were unable to make the walk...it was only about half a mile.

Well I got to the meeting point and 2 Old Gentlemen and an Old Lady came over, she must have been in her early 80's I reckon.

There was no step to help them, the 2 Guys did look sprightly enough, but the Lady was quite fragile. So here was I thinking this might be fun getting them in and out.

Well the 2 Guys had a fair amount of trouble...but when it cam to the Lady she said "don't worry, I know how to get in these."...so there she was, right foot on the front step and hopped right in.

I asked her how she Knew. She said back during the war there was an American Bomber base just up the road, the Americans used to come in their Jeeps to pick the girls to take them to the local dances.

After all that time she hadn't forgotten. She told me that even though the occassion was a sad one....it really brought back some nice memories for her.

cheers

Chris

Hey Chris, that is a wonderful story and funny one that happened to me too this summer.

I was at a show at my uncle farm so had a lot of family there and one my family elders came up to us and when we arrived and said wow Jack I haven't seen a GMC since the war :schocked: :schocked: .......after I picked myslef up off the floor in shock from my Great Untie (who has always been old) knowing what a GMC was :-o I told her that I was 'well' impressed ( youth talk ) and how did she know what it was, she reply; "well the Yanks used to pick me up in one of these and take me to the dances, and we used to drive for miles in the them". :schocked:

As happened to you, she ask if she could get in and sit in the cab - I was panicking at this stage as I didn't know how I was going to get her in, let alone out again, by the time I called over my wife to give me a hand, she hand jumped up on in and was firing out all of my stuff that I had in the cab to make room :schocked: she said then asked that it would make her day and bring back memories if we could go for a ride - so we did! Made my day too!

She did say that when the Yanks had left then the Marines would come in and when they had left then the Infantry would arrive........she said that she was very busy during the war :wink:

width=640 height=480http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b107/richmorris/P1010003-3.jpg[/img]

Hi Jack

It was a nice feeling from my point of view....it made up for a dissapointment from a few years back.

When I first got my Jeep another Lady used to walk past every weekend and say when I got it restored she would love to go for a ride.

It turned out she used to eb a Land Girl...and when she used to be working in the fields her Husband to be would come bouncing over the fields in a Jeep. He was in the RAF at the time.

When I eventually got it on the road after 2 years, I called round to see her....this wa also after I had moved....and by then she had unfortuanately had a stroke and was housebound. All i could do was park it outside her house and she could it from her window....always felt a bit sad about that.

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

I bet in her mind she was sitting next to you driving offroad like mad....good on you for keeping your promise!

During the commemorations in Den Bosch last October I made a Welsh veteran happy.

We had spoken a year earlier about Recce badges (he was a Recce). He couldn't get a original one.

I had forgotten (my memory is shot).

This year he reminded me and I promissed him a original one. He had a replica loaned form someone else.

So I brought the badge which I wear daily on a black beret and gave it to him.

He was very pleased.

When another veteran asked how much he had paid I just said it was a gift.

I got a new one through Ebay.