Vehicle Document Holders

Rangie

Question

8 answers to this question

They hold all the required paperwork pertaining to the vehicle you are driving, mostly used for wheeled kit, I can't speak for the zipperheads (armoured corps track laying types) but it carried mileage log with sign offs and POL record and your FMT 3, accident procedure paperwork and recovery paperwork and the work or movement paperwork that someone had signed off on that authorised the journey.

It was the first thing an MP asked for if a vehicle was involved in an RTA (road traffic accident) and god help you if it wasn't sorted and up to date, as often happened with vehicles that had multiple drivers.

There were many unit and sub unit ways of marking the outside of the holder, usually it ranged from a crude indellible marker of the vehicle ARN (army registration number) like 23 GN 45 or something more tidy like a white block painted onto the cover and then neatly stencilled with the ARN.

They were re used when a vehicle was cast or transfered. They were part of what you picked up in the MT office with the keys to the wagon.

That is the general idea, others can chime in and add more detail i'm sure.

R

And basically, Robin has covered it Admirably!

ALL Military Vehicles should have one of these. And they are SO Cheap to be had off fleabay, That I recomend everyone gets one for thier Pride & joy that they drive on the road.

At the price they cost, it might be worth getting one for each vehicle, as they do in Service.

& stencil the veh Reg Number on the front as stated.

That way, you KNOW all your docs are together & safe.

As an aside, Tracked Vehicles use the road as well, on Driver training & exercises in B.A.O.R Etc.

Not just for authenticity. but the sheer convinience of carrying ALL of your vehicle Documents in when travelling on the Road. If stopped by the Police, all your Docs are to hand in a Protective wallet!

Around £4-£5 pounds is a correct price to pay for one. ;)

Known (at least to the RAF types I know) as Form 600 wallets, I think because all Government forms have a number and all the relevant forms were numbered 6xx

I have a load of these somewhere, some with VRNs and some without.

Is there any difference in age / significance between the vinyl outer ones and the cloth outer ones?

Edited by Sean N

in the vehicle, where did the wallet live?

In your Milly, Simon, they would have sat in the drivers door bin. As I remember they were just too long enough to fit properly and had to be stood on end, which made them a pain in butt when winding the window down :D:D

Bought! There's one on its way home :D

My thoughts were to use it for mileage/fuel calculations and other general notes while trundling around.

Nice touch to have it marked up with Mil Reg as well!

Alec.