conveting a ffr series 3 land rover to 12v

hi has anyone converted a ffr series 3 from 24v to 12v. i understand the need to change the 24V parts alternertor,starter wiper motor ect but how does the loom be effected can i safely use the exsisting one with the new parts and will it need much altering to work safley?

Hi.

Converting to 12v is straightforward, but you do need to source nearly everything - wiper motor, gauges and their regulator, bulbs, heater motor, starter motor, 12v alternator or dynamo, horn etc. etc..

Surprisingly enough, the sealed ignition system is 12v already - there is a dropper box on the ignition feed to the coil to give 12v out from the 24v in. The loom is fine with the higher currents as it appeared (on the ones I've converted) to be the same gauge of wire throughout as the standard loom.

I understand you're having trouble sourcing the parts for your military 24v alternator, and this is why you're considering the swap?

I have to say that generally, a 24v system works more reliably than a 12v one and, given the fact that you've got all the 24v stuff already and none of the 12v bits I'd be looking to fit a 24v version of the Lucas A127 alternator. This is physically the same size as the 12v one you'd likely be fitting, but will marry up with the electrics you already have.

If I remember correctly, you can fit a 24v diode pack to a 12v version as that's all the difference is between them.

Rebuild kits come up on eBay, but a marine supplier or commercial vehicle breakers would be a good place to look too.

Hope this helps, Glen.

Edited by GlenAnderson

Replacing the 90 generator would be the easiest and quickest, if you are sure the diode pack has failed.

They are available on eBay and other military salvage places like Craddocks.

Good luck with the solution, whichever way you go :-D