Civil war

marmon

Question

I've Just been reading the paper a very depressing experience... So when the revolution or civil war starts what do you all think will be the ideal vehicle for a trip to Tesco or the school run, I'm thinking it must have room for the wife, kids and dog plus of course the weekly shop, obviously able to withstand small arms fire and Molotov cocktails with enough power to push Audi's out of the way? Ferret too cramped? Fireproof? 432 too large and tracks? Fuel economy? Can anyone suggest a readily available road legal MV suitable for the task??

:-D Well it does say any question no matter how daft...

Cheers all,

Q

18 answers to this question

Sparten would probably be best/ideal. Shops & supermarkets wont exist. & Money will be worthless. Tinned Food & Water will be the best stuff to store away. Also good supply of Fuel & Medical Gear/ pills Etc. Shops will be robbed & wrecked by rioting Etc. The Army WILL be out (TA Reserve) & WILL shoot looters on sight.

Sorry to sound dismal here. But SOMTHING that shoots to protect you & yours WILL be needed also! (Thats why your Lovely Government DOSENT want Private Firearm Ownership!) Rioters WILL be out looking for Food & Water also. You NEED to be out in the country in an underground SECURE, Camoflauged Bunker that is NOT know about to survive with Minimum threat to life!

Sadly, I cannot afford ANY of these things, So I will become a 'Casualty'!...........................

My Own REALISTIC Thoughts here!...................................:(

Edited by ferretfixer

Considering all the DOVE armoured vehicles sold at Witham's are 'outside EEc only' you don't have much hope. Mind you I know a way of keeping within the UK and still going outside the EEC. :cool2:

Would that be IOM or Channel Islands maybe??

Don't know about I.O.M. and only one of the Channel Islands! Jersey is not EU though Gurnersey is. Other problem is you need a Jersey resident to be 'registerd keeper' of the vehicle.

But, once registered you can either 1. Keep the Jersey registration, provided the vehicle goes back to the Island for a week or so every year, 2. Tranfer the vehcile to an English registration.:angel: All fully legal! If you are going to permenatly import the vehcile back, you will have to pay V.A.T. so have some recipt that values the vehicle low.

Great thanks for the tips,

I Googled French coach and came up with a couple of beauty's neither of them French coaches... the Rhino Runner, it would make a great camper as well, although I think they will need them for a few years yet and the AMX 10RC that seems almost ideal it's even amphibious with water jet drive http://www.army-technology.com/projects/amx/ They are getting quite old now but I doubt any will be released in the near future, bit heavy maybe and French engineering-complex.

If I've got this right it is illegal to own an amphibious MV in the EEC? Anyone know why??

What kind of disaster / apocalypse is it? That could affect your options.

If it's zombies you probabbly wouldn't need too much armour, if it's aliens then probably something that's EMP resistant, NBC protection could be handy in deadly plague etc.

If it's people, then either my ferret or a saracen?

I assume the situation you are refering to could be similar to that as used in the television series " The Survivors". It was unfortunate that the recent series was not completed.

Should we be part of a group that survives, defending ones self would still be a problem, particulary latter ( say a year) on as food and supples become less.

The problem with armored vehicles would be having the fuel to operate them. It points towards farm and local transport being based on horses. (and I don't mean the armoured vehicle being towed by horses)

Doug

There have ben so many 'Survivor' series over the years. The vehicles I remember being used are everything form a Ford Cortina estate, a Merc van ( that is supposed oto have stood for a hundred years, then fires up first time!) to Citreon 2CV. I think I'd go for the Dodge and plenty of firepower.

Sparten would probably be best/ideal. Shops & supermarkets wont exist. & Money will be worthless. Tinned Food & Water will be the best stuff to store away. Also good supply of Fuel & Medical Gear/ pills Etc. Shops will be robbed & wrecked by rioting Etc. The Army WILL be out (TA Reserve) & WILL shoot looters on sight.

Sorry to sound dismal here. But SOMTHING that shoots to protect you & yours WILL be needed also! (Thats why your Lovely Government DOSENT want Private Firearm Ownership!) Rioters WILL be out looking for Food & Water also. You NEED to be out in the country in an underground SECURE, Camoflauged Bunker that is NOT know about to survive with Minimum threat to life!

Sadly, I cannot afford ANY of these things, So I will become a 'Casualty'!...........................

My Own REALISTIC Thoughts here!...................................:(

Wow, this sounds almost exactly what a lot of Americans were predicting would happen with the "millennium bug"!

What a let-down that turned out to be.

Even the end of the world has ben delayed! :yawn: Daft thing is, the profile of most people here, independent, used to adapting, capable of solving problems. Being detrmined in the face of adversity, makes for top end of the suvivor catogrey.

Even the end of the world has ben delayed! :yawn: Daft thing is, the profile of most people here, independent, used to adapting, capable of solving problems. Being detrmined in the face of adversity, makes for top end of the suvivor catogrey.

apart from our ownership of gas guzzling over complicated machinery and the lack of fuel to run or use our joint knowledge .

now me personally any sign of revelution i would be watching re runs of ray mears and fill in that application for my firearms that i been meaning to do for ages .

Iain :D

My original post was for a good vehicle for possibly more serious and widespread civil unrest along the lines we have already seen, not really for total anarchy and meltdown, depending where one lives it might become pretty handy for an unavoidable trip to town... I bet prince Charles wished he was in something a bit more rugged than a P5

Someone mentioned a Ferret, a bit small for the shopping and four passengers but otherwise a good choice, top of my list today is a Panhard VBL which looks ideal but where could you buy one?