Fitting a Jeep Clutch release fork !

Hello Guys

Last night i spent about two VERY frustrating hours trying to fit the Clutch release barring fork in place through the flywheel apature on the bell housing! I lost count of how many times I dropped it to the bottom and had to fish it out !

Having just rebuilt the box and re fitted it, i thought it would be easy, however it apears not!

Can anyone confirm that it is actually possible to get this fork behind the two lugs and on the ball mount, then actually

connect the cable..................all through trhis oval hole ??

OR has the whole transmission got to come out again ??

Jules

Hello Guys

Last night i spent about two VERY frustrating hours trying to fit the Clutch release barring fork in place through the flywheel apature on the bell housing! I lost count of how many times I dropped it to the bottom and had to fish it out !

Having just rebuilt the box and re fitted it, i thought it would be easy, however it apears not!

Can anyone confirm that it is actually possible to get this fork behind the two lugs and on the ball mount, then actually

connect the cable..................all through trhis oval hole ??

OR has the whole transmission got to come out again ??

Jules

Jules,

It is not too much of a problem, I have done it a number of times, you could try a piece of stiff wire around it so you an dangle it down into position, may help if you get somone else to engage the cable into it as you get it located, this will help to hold it in place. Best of luck ;)

Its doable.. but until you get it done once its hard to explain.

Biggest tip I can give you is to use the starter crank to rotate the clutch so the pressure plate fingers are out of the way. I have found a 'sweet spot' that allows me to use the finger as a lever to get the fork on the ball and behind the bearing.

Hard to explain... but fiddle with it.... my very large hands can do it.

Its doable.. but until you get it done once its hard to explain.

Biggest tip I can give you is to use the starter crank to rotate the clutch so the pressure plate fingers are out of the way. I have found a 'sweet spot' that allows me to use the finger as a lever to get the fork on the ball and behind the bearing.

Hard to explain... but fiddle with it.... my very large hands can do it.

I agree, doable but fiddly. Kids/wife/Mum etc come in handy to fish it out if/when dropped.

After mine was all back together the clutch cable popped out of the ball socket thingy on mine. Blindly poked it back in the hole and hooked it on at the second attempt, beginers luck probably. :D

Loosen the 4 bolts (or put longer ones in) that hold the gearbox to the bell housing and slide the box back on them a bit, its not much but it allows a little more room to maneuver the fork into place (especially if you have sausage fingers like me!) i also have a bent piece of steel that holds the release bearing forward. then go in doors, have a cuppa, relax and try again!

i have found that there a few different makes of forks, some are much beefier than others and these can be a real a**e ache to get in.

good luck

The tranny is held firm to the crossmember by a mount (and 4 bolts)... and the transfer case also has a bolt on the crossmember.. plus the input shaft is still in the flywheel. Plus pedals and the pedal shaft... I can't see this getting you any room without taking a lot of stuff apart.

I guess it would depend how much of it you have back in place.

• 2 weeks later...
The tranny is held firm to the crossmember by a mount (and 4 bolts)... and the transfer case also has a bolt on the crossmember.. plus the input shaft is still in the flywheel. Plus pedals and the pedal shaft... I can't see this getting you any room without taking a lot of stuff apart.

I guess it would depend how much of it you have back in place.

Put the release fork in before fitting the rest of the components, that way if you have any problems it only takes a minute to whip the box back out and sort it. one thing at a time then move on to the next bit.

• 4 weeks later...
Been there done that.

Advice, tie a string to the fork, avoids having to get your little nephew to fish it out when it drops.

what a pain but it can be done. yes the string does work. i got the teashirt too!