Spanner sizes for metric and imperial

ferrettkitt

Interesting reading, I remember learning all that sort of stuff as an apprentice, way back in 19....... whenever it was.

I've got an achient Engineers Handbook somewhere in the back of the cupboard with tables in it for conversions from Metric to UNF to Whit, BSP etc even the very old alphabetical drill sizes.

Quite useful.

I may be a purist but I like to use the correct spanner, not something close. I personally don't like the approximations this site recommends, but that is just me.....

Not going to disagree on that one the problem can be in obtaining the correct spanners to do the job. As I have enough junk as it is going to a car boot isn't an option.

Whitworth spanners can be bought new, I use autojumble/ carboot quite a lot, but a lot of my Whitworth stuff is bought brand spanking new....

To quote this website and to explain why I think it is flawed...

Quote http://WWW.gomog.com "...For example, a 3/16 BSW spanner, a 1/4 BSF spanner, and a 7/16 AF spanner are EXACTLY the same size."

Unquote

Untrue...

7/16 A/F is 0.4375"

3/16 BSW/ 1/4 BSF is 0.445"

That is certainly not" EXACTLY the same size"

Can I offer this site as a better/ more reliable guide to those who may come across Whitworth and BSF threads.

http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conversion%20charts.htm

I have no connection with this company!

Edited by antarmike

Does this one fit? - Nah, needs to be a bit bigger.

When I measure stuff, I use the nearest whole number and then add or subtract a bit.

You need this U boat spanner then......

KGrHqQOKjIE1ufLO4dwBNn0zWSCQ_35.jpg

submarinespanner2.jpg

A truly digital spanner.....(although from memory the swing out shims are 0.5mm each)

Edited by antarmike

Have to agree with Mike, a nearly right spanner usually results in blood leaking from knuckles:cry:

Agreed if the spanner used is sloppy and liable to slip off or round of corners on the nut but equally frustrating in the case stated above, trying to use a 7/16" A/F spanner on a 1/4" BSF nut, the frustration in having to force on an undersized spanner that has no built in allowance to allow you to easily slip the spanner on with a sensible working clearance. This only makes the job harder.