GMC 352's

They are in Leeds, LS27 0PU.

If you want to come and take them off, they will be even cheaper....

Regards

Ken

Howard, the Area Secretary for Yorkshire MVT Brian Slingsby and four others are heading down to 'Our Little Friends' next weekend, maybe they might have some space on the trailers.........?

Clive

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Clive

Thanks for that, ive got delivery all sorted. Heres another update on the GMC the Radiator is all fitted and plumbed in. I also fitted all new Ht leads, points, D,cap ect. I got it started and after a tune up it runs very well with good oil pressure.

Thanks Howard

IMAG0037.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hi Clive

Thanks for that, ive got delivery all sorted. Heres another update on the GMC the Radiator is all fitted and plumbed in. I also fitted all new Ht leads, points, D,cap ect. I got it started and after a tune up it runs very well with good oil pressure.

Thanks Howard

Looking good Howard. I see you have opted for quality flexiable hosing, it looks familiar!!!

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, yes thanks for that I got it running and it sounds and runs well. After blasting a Nissan cab star today for a customer, I did a bit to the tractor unit. I decided to go with the open cab, its nice to have the wind blowing through your hair. I know some will say a closed cab would look better and i suppose I agree, but at least putting on the open cab it moves the project forward. heres a couple of pics of the cab going on and in position.

Regards Howard

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

Edited by HWade

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have got the trailer sorted for the tractor unit, its now on the ferry as I am typing. I got it from army cars, its an ex US command post trailer.Heres a couple of pics one before loading and one on the loloader. I will post more pics when i collect monday from Harwich.The trailer is a nice size 23ft so not to long.

Howard

trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello Joris

It was Good to see you at the my little friends weekend, and yes this is the trailer, Iam collecting in the morning from Harwich I couldnt get there today. But I think its going to make a nice little outfit.

All the best

Howard

Hi Paul

The plan is to convert the inside to 5 star camping,but this will be a winter project, but I do want to get the outside and underside of the trailer blasted and painted, before winter, that way it doesnt matter if she sits outside, I may invest in a large tarp to drape over it.The inside can then be converted as and when i get time, or hand the job over to another friend of mine to do. I set off this morning to collect the trailer from Harwich and we got it back with out any problem, infact it towed very well. In fact apart from the jack legs and the front plate the king pin is on, the chassis and sides are all alloy.The braking system on the trailer is air over hydrolic, so I dont think I am going to have to much of a problem sorting that side of things out.I will recon i will install a 12 volt air compressor and install all of that on the trailer, and just use a micro switch off the brake pedal, it will be a bit of trial and error but I have done it before and not had to much of a problem getting it to work.The tyres on the trailer are very good 900 x 20 bar grips but these i may change to gmc size 750 x 20 the reason being is because when its hitched up on the gmc it sits down at the front and putting smaller wheels on the back may well level it up.So its quite a light trailer.Well thats it for now I will post pics as and when work starts on the trauler.Here is a couple of pics collecting it from Harwich.

Howard

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello Jeff thanks for that, yep the old truck is a friends of mine, and runs like a new one. I tried the trailer on the jimmy today, and even with jimmy wheels on the trailer, I am still going to have to put a 3" lift spacer under the fifth wheel coupling but this is not to much of a problem, here is a pic with it hitched up to the jimmy, not a very good pic but it gives you the idea.

Howard

IMAG0076.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello Mark

Thanks for that, yep I think it will be a nice looking setup when done, I just want the main bits done and out of the way and then I can sort the simple stuff out over the winter. biggest cost is going to be the tyres, but thats one of those things. I did think about putting it on a road going tyre, and the black and white pic I did see of a tractor unit was on road tyres and not bar grips, but theres plenty of time to sort that out.

Howard

Hello Jeff thanks for that, yep the old truck is a friends of mine, and runs like a new one. I tried the trailer on the jimmy today, and even with jimmy wheels on the trailer, I am still going to have to put a 3" lift spacer under the fifth wheel coupling but this is not to much of a problem, here is a pic with it hitched up to the jimmy, not a very good pic but it gives you the idea.

Howard

Yes, I see what you mean!!

Jeff

Hello Joris

I did tow the trailer with the jimmy for a short distance and it pulled it with out a problem, the engine in the truck was a french rebuild, and seems to be in good shape, very good oil pressure, and runs very well.The trailer it self weighs 8000 lbs which is about 4 tons,I recon i should get along at about 35mph, but untill its all done and I sort out the brakes, what its going to pull it like remains an unknown, but I dont think there will be a problem, I do have a data plate showing how the weight is distributed on the trailer wheels and the king I will copy that and post. Hope this gives you an idea.

Howard

Just a bit of an update on the semi trailer, I managed to remove the main braking system off the trailer that consisted of a air driven diafram that pushes a rod in the mater cylinder, the brakes being air over hydrolic. My plan is to replace the air side of things with an electronic actuator, I just have to work out a way to fix the actuator on to the mounting plate that holds the air diafram housing. I also need to work out the length of the stroke of the piston arm. But the you can adjust the strokes on the 12 volt actuators. Heres a few pics of the braking system. I was suppised that the inside of the master cylinder was so good, after all the years of standing it was still not seized.

Howard

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on trailer, I have taken one hub off and removed the wheel cylinders and the shoes, the brake shoes were like new, the cylinders, i will replace or have resleeved. I also have one side of the trailer blasted. Howard

IMAG0188.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Howard,

You're not mucking about.... nice combo you have there.

Your trailer's master brake is a standard Ford truck unit as used since the late 1930's. I know it as it's the same as on my Canadian Ford CMP. For the current part numbers see the Maple Leaf Up Forum.

The piston, spring and cups are the same as used on the WW2 Dodge WC series and can thus be found "on every street corner".

HTH,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Hello Hanno

I have decided to go for an 12volt electric over hydrolic system its used on alot of the american trailers and trailer vans, you fit in a control unit into the truck and the hydrolic brake unit fits onto the trailer, sending brake fluid to the wheel cylinders, harder you brake the more the unit works.The units are not cheap but it will certainly solve not having air for the brakes, and I beleave some of the US army trailers had electric brakes but maybe not the same design. heres a couple of pics one of the brake unit and one of the trailer on the truck, the trailer will have duel wheels as will the truck.I still have work to do hence just single wheels fitted.

Howard.

!B8YyVg!!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKisEzS+k07hSBM25RQq)d!~~_12.JPG

IMAG0192.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello Jimmy

Thanks for your comments, regards the trailers that Army cars have, they only had the one ex US army single axle semi trailer that I have. They did have some other semi box trailers but I think these were twin axle,and 30ft. My trailer is only 23ft long which is ideal for what I want it for. Jean at army cars is very helpful it might pay to drop him an email.

Cheers

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a quick update, I now have a nice solid closed cab for the tractor unit, theres a little bit of rust at the rear of the cab at the bottom, and a little bit of work to do on the doors other than that, it should blast up well, looking forward to getting the closed cab blasted and painted,when i get time, this will defintely finish the truck off. Heres a pic of the cab to be installed.

Howard

IMAG0617.jpg

Edited by HWade

I managed to get a bit of work done on the cab last night, welded up the holes in the roof where the flashing beacon was, and also got some other holes welded up.There a small piece of rot to cut out of bottom of cab and replace. Its also good news on the brake drums, I have finally tracked some down. I shall be collecting those in the morning, so thats friday night sorted out.Well thats it for now.

Howard

Edited by HWade