White star, blue circle

That PDF has some errors. Specifically the Circle around the star.

The circle was always 'solid' but the 'breaks' are from the stencil... not from any specification.

The yellow circle was specified for a very short time, but in 1944 the yellow circle reappeared because the chemical descant was also yellow-ish.

Also the 'circle and star' was primarily used to aid identification during invasions. After the invasion, the circle was no longed 'added' to newly painted vehicles... only the vehicles used in the actual invasion.

I have video of a vehicle assembly yard in France just 2 months after the Invasion and the 'National Symbol' was just the star, no circle (because the invasion was long over and normal combat operations were in effect.

Army Air Force stuff.

The MEATBALL, or red circle in the centre, was removed in early '42 I think because of fears it could be confused with the Japanese rising sun in the Pacific theatre.

It was seldom seem on European stuff, as most of that was imported and marked as Army Air Force after the date of change.

Gordon

Gordon

and for the blue drab hood numbers, this was the regulation colour applied at the factory when the vehicle was accepted by the military. Specifically for jeeps, every vehicle left the Ford & Willys factoris with Blue Drab hood (USA) numbers, except for the last few months of production of the MB at the Willys factory, where they did change to using white paint (USA 2072xxxx approx)

Most period pictures show white numbers as these vehicles had been repainted since being accepted by the military. It's important to remember that lustreless Olive Drab paint (OD) was only expected to keep it's flat finish for 2 years or so and I recall someone on the G503.com forum posting a copy of a regulation on re-painting vehicles every 2 years or so.

Anyway, hope that explains the 'blue' hood numbers.

Here's a picture of my June 45 Willys MB hood, having used paint stripper to uncover the original USA number - in Blue Drab. As I worked through the layers, I first found the same number in white where the jeep had been repainted at some time. If you want to learn the best way to try and uncover original numbers/markings, there's an excellent topic here:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112487

4982blue.JPG

Army Air Force stuff.

The MEATBALL, or red circle in the centre, was removed in early '42 I think because of fears it could be confused with the Japanese rising sun in the Pacific theatre.

It was seldom seem on European stuff, as most of that was imported and marked as Army Air Force after the date of change.

Gordon

Gordon

That is correct, it was also the reason why RAF & RAAF aircraft in the Pacific Theatre had only blue and white roundels.

light blue? i thought that they were white! You live and learn. Was there any reason for blue?

A lot of Red White Blue roundels were modified locally by painting out the red dot with White, but this was a local expediency. The colours should have been Light Blue and Dark Blue but as is so often the case with Military markings , what should have happened, didn't always happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RAF_Far_East_Command_roundel.svg

If you read the RAF's official reason the text says Blue and white was used but their illustration is of Light Blue/ Dark Blue Roundel

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/theroyalairforceroundel.cfm!

Edited by antarmike

And what colour is this guy painting the star background I wonder? :D USAAF, Norfolk, 1944/1945. I guess anything goes!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45200[/ATTACH]

The paint he is using looks dark in colour, so could it be that the whole circle is painted solid white, then the star is marked and the outer parts of the area outside the star but inside the circle are then painted green to match the rest of the vehicle colour !!!!

Interesting pic Tony,do you have any details of unit/location or date?. I do have doubts the background is blue,as R Cubed says it could be something to do with how the star and circle has been applied,though the star looks stenciled. I do wonder if he is applying the dark yellow gas warning paint?.

Here's one for Tony(NOS)..

AutocarandC-54Egypt037.jpg

This is an official photo and the original caption reads "U.S.Army transport plane refuels in Egypt. A four-motored U.S. Army transport plane,which carries men and materials of war to allied forces on the world's fighting fronts,refuels at an American airfield near Cairo,Egypt,before taking off on another leg of it's journey".

Unfortunately the picture is not dated but judging by the paint on the C-54 and the early hard cab Autocar I'm guessing 1943.