new arrival yesterday at work

If you do find some rail, and want to haul it home 39 foot at a time;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/NOLAN.htm

NOL00024.jpg

I know rail comes in different weights per unit length, but I always considered that two 39 foot sections of rail would have weighed more than the two tons this trailer was rated at?

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M

If you do find some rail, and want to haul it home 39 foot at a time;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/NOLAN.htm

NOL00024.jpg

I know rail comes in different weights per unit length, but I always considered that two 39 foot sections of rail would have weighed more than the two tons this trailer was rated at?

Gordon

If we are just talking the weight of the rail itself, without sleepers and chairs atatched, then

Most common European weights are

between 40 kg/m (80.6 lb/yd) and 60 kg/m (121 lb/yd)

In America the weight could be up to

55 lb/yd (76.9 kg/m) (which although no longer production was used on the Pennsylvania Railroad)

If my mental arithmetic is correct this puts two 39 foot lengths of probably the heaviest section ever used at 1430Lbs?

Edited by antarmike

Thanks Mike.

This little trailer was designed for hauling two tons of cross ties ( sleepers ) and / or rail sections from the depot to the point of use, over road or rail.

Two sections of rail would be centred on the trailer bed ( after the front and back panels had been detached ) and they would be secured with the clamps which you can see swivelled down at the front of the bed. A towbar would be secured to the front of the tow rail sections, using the fishplate holes, and the trailer would be towed with that.

It was so wrecked when I saw it that I thought it was ancient, turns out is was made in 1986 and had had a hard life....:D

• 2 weeks later...
A while ago, i was talking to a chap who had the job of putting a value on MOD equipment when closing down a site etc. In this case it was HMS Thunderer. He was telling me then, that british railway steal line was selling at £20 000 a mile. this was in the late 1980's.

HMS Thunderer as in RNEC Manadon in Plymouth?

Andy