DAKOTA FLIGHT

blazerman

Hi all . Went on a air atlantique c47 classic flight yesterday from biggin hill to coventry at 1500 feet great view of London below and duxford and jet cars racing at santa pod . sat in first row of seats behind cockpit which is in line with engines . could see pilots at controls and hear roar of engines at take off and viberation through the single skin fuselage no sound insulation here .best flight i have ever been on .

Here's a new string then: Best Flight I've Ever Been On. Well done to Blazerman for kicking it off in style.

For me it was a flight in a DHC Otter floatplane over the Rockies from Vancouver to Widgeon Lake for my daughter's birthday in 2002. There were about ten of us on board. we flew over snow capped peaks and made a stunning landing on a fairly inaccessible lake. The pilot kicked off his shoes and socks and then paddled in the lake tugging the plane into shallower waters for us to do same. The water was freezing and the banks were shards of rock - but who cares. My daughter fell asleep, even with all the engine noise. Best of all, the pilot asked my son to sit up front with him for the journey back. Priceless.

Keep this going chaps....

I flew in a C-47/DC-3 ( G-AMPY in 'Northwest' colours ) back in 1985, from RAF Cranfield. I was in the third row back, on the right. If I remember it cost £10!

I've had a few memorable test flights too, from my days as a light aircraft engineer at Newcastle, and an Air Cadet flight in a glider from Catterick in mid-winter was memorable for the cold! Those Air Cadet uniforms didn't keep out the cold too well, and the flying was delayed because the tow cable was frozen onto the winch!

Steve

Hi all . Went on a air atlantique c47 classic flight yesterday from biggin hill to coventry at 1500 feet great view of London below and duxford and jet cars racing at santa pod . sat in first row of seats behind henpit which is in line with engines . could see pilots at controls and hear roar of engines at take off and viberation through the single skin fuselage no sound insulation here .best flight i have ever been on .

Come on! This just isn't fair - how come everyone has such fun :schocked: That must of been one hell of an experience. Do you have any images?

My wife and flew back from Prague yesterday and it was a great flight, it was amazing flying over France, Holland and Germany at 36,000 ft and I thought of our air crews who were flying bombing missions during WW2.

We flew into Bourmouth airport ( ex WW2 airfield) and flew over disused WW2 airfields in the New Forest and I also thought of the WW2 paratroopers who jumped into Normandy from only 700-800 ft - for some people men not enough time to open their chutes........

Three flights stand out in my mind, my first ever flight as an 8 year old taken up in a 2 seat Meteor by the Station Commander (an ex ww11 pilot) from a Yorkshire airfield, probably Church Fenton, flying from Leeds/Bradford to Jersey and back in a DC3, thirdly returning from Spain in a BAC111 and crossing the Pyrenees in a huge electrical storm, all the snow covered mountains lighting up blue in the massive lightning flashes.

I flew in a C-47/DC-3 ( G-AMPY in 'Northwest' colours ) back in 1985, from RAF Cranfield. I was in the third row back, on the right. If I remember it cost £10!

I've had a few memorable test flights too, from my days as a light aircraft engineer at Newcastle, and an Air Cadet flight in a glider from Catterick in mid-winter was memorable for the cold! Those Air Cadet uniforms didn't keep out the cold too well, and the flying was delayed because the tow cable was frozen onto the winch!

Steve

Best flight - I guess that had to be any in the Seventies that brought us back to the UK in one piece. Don't have the words for describing the feelings as one looked out the C-130 at the patchwork of fields that made up the English country side...

Worst flight - definitely has to be coming home from Maastrich to Gatwick on an NLM Fokker the night of the great storm in 1986. Sitting there watching the wings flex, the M25 traffic go from dots to recognizable vehicles then back again and the stewardess sitting there crossing herself repeatedly did NOT inspire confidence! :-) :-)

hi in answer to rambo1969 question it cost 99 pounds each which included coach travel from farnbrough air museum to biggin hill then coventry back to farnbrough. if you look on air atlantique web site it list dates for trips. or get enough people and charter a flight for a hour its all you need !! we got our trip from hodges coach travel who had a add in surrey advertiser.