A very sad film

Niels v

Criminal shame now looking back but in the early war years the government and local towns would have had to take the lead in scrap drives to encourage the majority to give freely. You only have to look around old Churches and Municipal buildings to see where the railings once were and all that remains now r rusting stumps.

If it was metal they used it.

Did the design for a development in Oxford about 12 years ago.

Had the sewer records but nobody could find any manhole covers.

Was informed by the Local Authority "Thats the older part of Oxford most of the covers went in the war"

blockages are therefore fun.

Mike

An interesting series of films.

Although we may look back in horror at some of the items being cut up, one must consider that in that time how many people were interested in preserving or restoring items. The vintage movement had little following in general, let alone for military hardware. Items from the Great War were 25 to 30 years old, and was seen to have no historic value.

I realise it is difficult to compare to todays values and the way how we collect things about us, however how many people collect items less than 30 years old. That seems to be a time frame associated with disposal of much, then what is left becomes desirable.

Doug;)

I do wonder how much of historical value has been lost apart for a few T1-2 and 4 light tanks combat cars some of which failed to survive but were of little value in engineering training terms to be retained for future reference -which something APG were quite good at doing during and imediately after WW2.

One of the guns could be classed as important was the 42cm howitzer the so called Big (fat) Bertha of which 2 were captured by the AEF in 1918 both are reputed to be returned to the USA and if the film is contemporary and by the vehicles and clothing of workers it is, this shows the "missing" big Bertha being cut up -anyone got an idea where it was? -it looks like an officer training academy. The other Big Bertha remained at APG until it was said to be scrapped in another scrap drive in the 1950s. But the 42cm BB howitzer is a nice historical example it was little value to ordnance engineers -in actuallity it was pretty poor, famous for reducing the Lieg fortresses in 1914 -fortresses that were masonary and out of date even before they were finished, it struggled to be of use during other seiges in WW1 -having a spare barrel for each piece due to its tendancy to blow barrels something common for cannons but never should happen in a Howitzer.

Interestingly some of those did not end up getting cut up.

It is well documented that some of the Renault tanks were declared scrap and actually ended up in Canada at the begining of the war and one is now being rebuilt as we speak by the Canadian War Museum to runner status from what I understand.

R

robin craig

Interestingly some of those did not end up getting cut up.

It is well documented that some of the Renault tanks were declared scrap and actually ended up in Canada at the begining of the war ........

They were transfered as scrap to conform (avoid causing political interest/scrutiny) with the policy restricting transfer of US Army equipment to beligerant powers, at a time when Congress was debating whether to tighten up war purchases or allow a favoured status for the UK and Commonwealth/Empire.

It would be nice to see some pics of the 6ton tank being restored -I assume it is a M1917 rather than one of the few (50 +) Renault FT used in France by AEF.

Steveo,

I had heard that the "scap" status was a ruse to conform.

I will enquire of the powers that be to produce some pictures and data.

Its a foreign tank of early vintage so exact idetification will have to come from you or refurb shop or CWM. Its too early a machine for me to rivet count on!

R

robin craig

.........I will enquire of the powers that be to produce some pictures and data.

Its a foreign tank of early vintage so exact idetification will have to come from you or refurb shop or CWM. Its too early a machine for me to rivet count on!

I look forward to any photos of the refurbishment that you may be able to post.

I thought all tanks -apart for a few prototypes were "foriegn" to Canada as a rivet counter the US 6tonner is fairly different from the Renault FT most obvious differences the muffler is on the left side in the US version, various structural differences such as the triangular panels either side of the drivers visor- less apparent it had a complete fire-wall screen between the motor and fight compartment

Anyhow a few pics of 6tonners in Canadian service.

Famous pic of tanks for Canada -in this case a 6tonner as a Wireless tank

In use in training -the older officer in the turret is probably F.F. Worthington -the great man who set up the Canadian Armoured Corps

6tonners for Canada.jpg

Can-M1917.jpg

Can-M1917-CampBorden.jpg

Edited by steveo578
quote/attachment problems

It wasn't just the Americans that cut up monuments, I have a photo of a WW1 tank being cut up for scrap in Trowbridge park, also in Westbury there was a Crimean war cannon that went to the scrap drive along with 2 more from Victoria park in Bath. Are there any Crimeans war cannons surviving or were they all melted down?