Post WWII rhd Jeeps

Fyll

Question

Hello all,

This rather interesting picture shows two Jeeps parading in Cyprus in 1964. They belong to the Cypriot National Guard Military Police. What caught my eye was that they are right hand drive. Where did these Jeeps come from?

Most National Guard vehicles at the time came from surplus British stocks. Was the British army responsible for this conversion to rhd?

Also the Jeep on the left has a cut down bumper like the airborne version.

Can anybody shed any light on this mystery?

Fyll

pencil.png

10s.jpg

4 answers to this question

The jeep on the left of the pic appears to have the long track rod in normal position, so that would indicate the steering box was still on the left. Maybe it was modded like an old M series 6x6 I once saw in Australia. It had the steering wheel moved over and was connected to the original column, under the dashboard, with a roller chain and sprockets !

The jeep on the left of the pic appears to have the long track rod in normal position, so that would indicate the steering box was still on the left. Maybe it was modded like an old M series 6x6 I once saw in Australia. It had the steering wheel moved over and was connected to the original column, under the dashboard, with a roller chain and sprockets !

Just like the prototype Land Rover on a jeep Chassis exempt the Wilkes Brothers put their steering wheel slap bang in the middle.