Jeffery Quad

Smithy

Yes, i recognise that one. Richard who is a regular poster restored that one. I expect he will be able to tell us more about it.

The fairground Society? Was that near Bridgenorth by any chance?

As far as i know there are four Quads in the UK, only two of which are runners.

Yes, i recognise that one. Richard who is a regular poster restored that one. I expect he will be able to tell us more about it.

The fairground Society? Was that near Bridgenorth by any chance?

As far as i know there are four Quads in the UK, only two of which are runners.

Well The Fairground Society have their AGM at different places every year, but yes this year it was held near Bridgenorth at Russell Cook's yard.

Thanks for the extra information though.

Edited by Smithy

Well spotted, some of my former property !. The Jeffery-Quad , serial no. 70237 was supplied new to the French Govt. in 1915. It was sold as war surplus in 1921 and purchased by the owners of the LeMans circuit where it was used for 'off road' maintenance and survived in use until the 1950s. Laid aside in a field at the circuit it was seen by my friend Nick Baldwin when he camped there at an early 1970s 24 hour race, subsequently a photo appeared in print in 'Old Motor' magazine a few years later. I decided I would quite like it and along with Tony Cornish who ran Harry Pounds yard at Portsmouth we went to LeMans for the weekend , incredible luck we managed to find the remains of the Quad in a thicket, established that it still belonged to the circuit owners, did a deal with them over the phone during the following week and just managed to retrieve it before the 1979 24 hour race. Still fairly complete mechanically except the radiator core had been torn out. Totally restored it over the next two years. Oddly, a vehicle very easy to find out information on as such an innovative design with its four wheel drive and four wheel steering it was very well written up in al the technical journals of the day. Also it has automatic locking differentials so as long as it has adhesion on one wheel it will travel. Rebuilt with standard US cab and the body ironwork came from a WW1 Fiat truck. Took part in the Brighton commercial run in 1982 and 1983. Sold it to my good friend Russell Cook about 4 years ago.

Richard Peskett.

• 3 months later...

This one is actually a Nash-Quad. Thomas B.Jeffery sold out to Charles W.Nash in July 1916 and subsequently there were a few design changes , notably the radiator was a much larger in cast iron instead of the honeycomb core in brass case, the wheel hubs were strengthened showing the 'star' effect hub and many were not four wheel steering. Buda engines remained much the same . I believe my Jeffery was probably a gun portee originally with the French army.

Richard Peskett.