Info Wanted on Daimler Armoured Car E 20204

Diana and Jackie

Hi,

I am looking for information on a Daimler Armoured Car which my father drove in Palestine.

It was blown up with, and one of the soldiers, my fathers mate, was killed. My father survived, but was permanently deaf in one year.

The vehicle registration was E 20204 and written on its front was the slogan Ally Sloper.

If anyone can shed any light I would be grateful.

Diana

• 1 month later...

Hi

Ive collected a large amount of data on the Daimler Heavy and have published this on the web, see

www.daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk

ive checked my photo archive and have no record of E20204 ( i suspect the E, is in fact an F)

its a shame that it is not car F202014 as this car survives and is onwed by a friend of mine.

Do you have any photo's of your car in service?, with which regiment did your father serve?

would he be interested in writting of his service in the vehicles?

thanks for our assistance

'Singe'

(happy owner of a daimler heavy and two dingo's)

Alley Sloper, now there is a blast from the past. Ally Sloper was a cartoon carachter, first published in 1867, in a British magazine called Judy. The Army Service Corp, became known as Alley Sloper's Cavalary. The scheme developed into its own comic Alley Sloper's Half Holiday. Though this stopped publishing after the Great War there was an attempt to revive it in the late 1940's.

Edited by Tony B

Alley Sloper, now there is a blast from the past. Ally Sloper was a cartoon carachter, first published in 1867, in a British magazine called Judy. The Army Service Corp, became known as Alley Sloper's Cavalary. The scheme developed into its own comic Alley Sloper's Half Holiday. Though this stopped publishing after the Great War there was an attempt to revive it in the late 1940's.

Do you remember reading it back then Tony!...................................:D

(I thought 'Judy' was a girls Comic!.......:red:)

Do you remember reading it back then Tony!...................................:D

(I thought 'Judy' was a girls Comic!.......:red:)

Not in 1867 it wern't. It was a compeitor to the Punch magazine. So it proves to Diana and Jackie, their Dad was human! He must have read comics once. Ally Sloper was portrayed as a ner do well, drunk , in debt always doing stupid things. I can see why he appealed to squadies. The carachter reminds me of Mr McGoo's grandfather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_Sloper

It also shows that squaddies habit of reading comics and naming things after carton carachters goes back a lot farther than you'd think.

(I will be leaving the Zimmer frame on the club house steps so that a certain person trips over it!)

Hi,

At last found my Dad's service book!

He was discharged on the 10/04/1948 and enlisted on the 3/12/45 under national Service with The Royal Armoured Corps where he served as a driver mechanic - it says 'C' 68 in his paybook. He served in the middle east, where he got injured and I have a photograph of the other soldiers he served with.

I also have a photo of a Daimler armoured car with its front end blown off after it had just had its fluid flywheel repaired and engine refitted and travelled 10 miles. My Dad says on the photo that it was a new vehicle he had just repaired.

Diana (and Jackie)

PS....The quote below is absolutely correct.

Not in 1867 it wern't. It was a compeitor to the Punch magazine. So it proves to Diana and Jackie, their Dad was human! He must have read comics once. Ally Sloper was portrayed as a ner do well, drunk , in debt always doing stupid things. I can see why he appealed to squadies. The carachter reminds me of Mr McGoo's grandfather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_Sloper

It also shows that squaddies habit of reading comics and naming things after carton carachters goes back a lot farther than you'd think.

(I will be leaving the Zimmer frame on the club house steps so that a certain person trips over it!)