Series 3 Lightweight 24v FFR Winterised

Besides I would say more turqoise than sky blue.......:whistle:

Funny you should say that, looking at this generator, the casing that is the Sky Blue looks rather greeny when you see what looks more like the blue you see in the sky on the heatsink.

Don't ask what colour the bluey blue is because I don't know. It should be a heat resisting paint, but COSA H1 only list three paints in that category: Black, Sky Blue & Oxford Blue. Well if Sky Blue looks green, maybe this blue blue, light as it is, is what has been classed as Oxford Blue. Yes I know Oxford Blue doesn't look like that but it ain't Black & the casing is Sky Blue it doesn't leave much left. :-D

Dscf7053b.jpg

BTW this is a Generator No.12 not a No.10

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it possible that different manufacturers have different tones. Similar to different batches, but more noticeable like your image.

It may be that 2 different manufacturers have a 'Sky Blue' but when next to each other they clash?????

I know this happens in construction between paint and powder coating, same colour different outcome and a noticeable outcome!!!!!!!!!!

That may explain it.

On a seperate issue I will be cleaning down my 2286 engine V soon with some brush cleaner etc, before I start to get her fettled with new core plugs etc and then concentrate on rewelding S3 bellhosuing crossmember in from old chassis once repaired etc.

I have noticed that the engine paint in Sky Blue has cracked and flaked away in places. Not sure that grit blasting the whole engine is correct and wondered how people had overcome irregularities in paint layers when recoating an engine?

Yes, the generator sub-assemblies may have been produced by different sub-contractors. Perhaps both contractors thought they were correct by using Sky Blue. The outer assembly being finished in Sky Blue BSC381C 101 but the heatsinks etc painted also in Sky Blue but someone missed the BSC bit & used Sky Blue RAL 5015. The colour in the picture does look a close match to the RAL version.:-D

When you look at some re-manufactured items typically Rover & Humber generators the standard of paint preparation is often pretty poor, where there is lift-off from paint not being removed completely or even sanded down. I'm sure engines are no different. I would just sand down the edgey paintwork & repaint the affected areas.

Yes, the generator sub-assemblies may have been produced by different sub-contractors. Perhaps both contractors thought they were correct by using Sky Blue. The outer assembly being finished in Sky Blue BSC381C 101 but the heatsinks etc painted also in Sky Blue but someone missed the BSC bit & used Sky Blue RAL 5015. The colour in the picture does look a close match to the RAL version.:-D

When you look at some re-manufactured items typically Rover & Humber generators the standard of paint preparation is often pretty poor, where there is lift-off from paint not being removed completely or even sanded down. I'm sure engines are no different. I would just sand down the edgey paintwork & repaint the affected areas.

Perfect and thanks.....I will be relifting the engine out soon and putting on engine stand and will then cleanse, scrub and belnd down to then repaint in BS Sky Blue ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It is my Birthday today and so spent the day in the garage / in the garden in the sun shine tinkering away on lightweight.

Some updated pics of bits done today.

Also some queries as I spotted something on my windscreen glass that appears to be the glass debonding. hard to see but can make out the 'milking'!

20120327_145355.jpg

20120327_134829.jpg

I also noticed white paint on the doors outside and inside under the Cam. Only found white paint here so far so suspect replacement or may uncover on wings and rear tub??

20120327_133151.jpg

20120327_132822.jpg

Removed the damaged and corroded front grille infils. Frame off to blasters next.

20120327_122022.jpg

Spare wings I aquired and cleaned off paint. One wing off and FFR and the other a GS.

20120327_122323.jpg

I assume the Clutch Masters are a standard S3 item and still available. Ideally a Girling original. Will try LR Series etc!

20120327_122802.jpg

I cleaned the paint from this in caustic soda solution and it came up quite well. Good clean down and then ready for some new primer and top coat. Will be using Deproma as can be thinned with white spirit and sprayed.....Very good paint and hard wearing.

20120327_131037.jpg

What date did that change clive as these arms are very much different to the others on unitary frame dexion, that do match the FFR image in Mark Cooks book.

You are suggesting they changed again?? Thanks for help at GB formerly FT asked for a close up. When they changed may help his research????????

Thanks in advance

The glass on my windsreen is milking and therefore the PVb layer has been affected.

I have a set of replacement glass screen panels and wondered what is the best compound to reglaze them in??

Also are the ali trims still available for retention on the perimeter????

The screws that secure the inner are so small I wonder how robust it all is as existing to be re-used???

Thanks

I picked some parts up today from the blaster that had been blasted. hot gas galv'd and then primed using 'Leighs' paints epoxy primer. I spec Leighs paints on new buildings on steelwork so renound!

Very impressed and should last well. I will post images tomorrow and the keener eyed enthusiast will note that some galv bits arent galv and this is because in service it wasn't DBG and Galv!

It was ex 29 and then 3 Cdo so will be either NATO green or disruptive cammo. It may even be White yet for 29 Cdo, but that would only work if I get the arctic heater sorted????????????????

White may be different as not always seen at shows???????? It would then suit the RM Cdo image in Mark Cook's book :D

Thats coming on a treat. Bril stuff. I will say I was not sure about respraying mine in UN white (sprayed in NATO green first) But can I say now I have, last coat yesterday, the Airportable look somthing else. I am really pleased with the look. Will post some up to date pics. on my restoration when sorted.

Funny you should say that, looking at this generator, the casing that is the Sky Blue looks rather greeny when you see what looks more like the blue you see in the sky on the heatsink.

Don't ask what colour the bluey blue is because I don't know. It should be a heat resisting paint, but COSA H1 only list three paints in that category: Black, Sky Blue & Oxford Blue. Well if Sky Blue looks green, maybe this blue blue, light as it is, is what has been classed as Oxford Blue. Yes I know Oxford Blue doesn't look like that but it ain't Black & the casing is Sky Blue it doesn't leave much left. :-D

Dscf7053b.jpg

BTW this is a Generator No.12 not a No.10

Clive the colour in your photo could well be a RAL colour.

RAL 6000 is meant to resemble patinated copper and there is also RAL 5018 which is turquoise blue.

RAL colours are never ever matchable with BS colours, but can be close until they are adjacent one another, when the difference is then obvious :nut:

Thats coming on a treat. Bril stuff. I will say I was not sure about respraying mine in UN white (sprayed in NATO green first) But can I say now I have, last coat yesterday, the Airportable look somthing else. I am really pleased with the look. Will post some up to date pics. on my restoration when sorted.

Thanks for that.....What shade of colour white did you use???? I wonder if it is different to Arctic vehicle / harsh environment white.

I would suspect that UN white is a pure bright diamond white, whereas arctic I think may be more of an off white???

Clive the colour in your photo could well be a RAL colour.

Yes that's what I said a few posts ago :D

Some parts I mentioned that are either just blasted or have been blasted and primed in epoxy, or blasted, gas galv'd and then epoxy primed :D

sprayedafterblastingetc.jpg

Shall be top coating these in relevant colours in due course.....Temp drop in garage not ideal for top finishes........

Edited by Rover8FFR

Thanks for that.....What shade of colour white did you use???? I wonder if it is different to Arctic vehicle / harsh environment white.

I would suspect that UN white is a pure bright diamond white, whereas arctic I think may be more of an off white???

UN - Paint, finishing, white, high gloss

Snow terrains - Paint, finishing, white, matt

Thanks Clive.. Is there an actual paint colour code reference for the Matt White???

I did find a matt white finish on doors, but suspect self finish from works / manufacturer as door bottoms likely to be replacement given farely straight panels and minimal inner frame corrosion.

I thought they would have been a grey or black primed product from a supplier and not White, but who know!?????

What date did that change clive as these arms are very much different to the others on unitary frame dexion, that do match the FFR image in Mark Cooks book.

You are suggesting they changed again?? Thanks for help at GB formerly FT asked for a close up. When they changed may help his research????????

Wayne no idea when it changed but despite there being two NSNs suggesting two different items it is the same item in a different guise.

Originally codified as 5985-99-637-0886, the NSC (NATO Supply Classification) of 5985 is for Antennas, Waveguides & Related Equipment.

The rest of the NSN is the NIIN (NATO Item Identification Number) 99-637-0886

The NIIN is a unique identifier even without a NSC preceding it. Therefore changing the NSC will not effect the uniqueness of this being a particular item.

At some unknown date the item was codified as 5999-99-637-0886 presumably this was because someone thought the NSC 5999 described it more appropriately under Miscellaneous Electrical & Electronic Components.

A change in NSC is not all that unusual. Perhaps to dodge the vagaries of such a change, or for reasons of brevity or laziness, manufacturers will often omit the NSC on an item.

Examples of this are the ubiquitous Chair, folding & even the "Andy" But they are erroneously marked with the "NSN" or "NATO Stock No." as the last 7 digits, this is classed as "a non-significant number" & is not unique. It is only unique when preceded by the NCB (National Codification Bureau) number for that country. In the case of the Chair, folding & Andy when preceded by 99 the NIIN is created which makes it unique through all countries with the NATO Tier 2 Sponsorship Countries (which is larger than NATO itself).

Wayne no idea when it changed but despite there being two NSNs suggesting two different items it is the same item in a different guise.

Originally codified as 5985-99-637-0886, the NSC (NATO Supply Classification) of 5985 is for Antennas, Waveguides & Related Equipment.

The rest of the NSN is the NIIN (NATO Item Identification Number) 99-637-0886

The NIIN is a unique identifier even without a NSC preceding it. Therefore changing the NSC will not effect the uniqueness of this being a particular item.

At some unknown date the item was codified as 5999-99-637-0886 presumably this was because someone thought the NSC 5999 described it more appropriately under Miscellaneous Electrical & Electronic Components.

A change in NSC is not all that unusual. Perhaps to dodge the vagaries of such a change, or for reasons of brevity or laziness, manufacturers will often omit the NSC on an item.

Examples of this are the ubiquitous Chair, folding & even the "Andy" But they are erroneously marked with the "NSN" or "NATO Stock No." as the last 7 digits, this is classed as "a non-significant number" & is not unique. It is only unique when preceded by the NCB (National Codification Bureau) number for that country. In the case of the Chair, folding & Andy when preceded by 99 the NIIN is created which makes it unique through all countries with the NATO Tier 2 Sponsorship Countries (which is larger than NATO itself).

And someone had to decide, review, update and publish these facts........Just shows the world or defence and NATO is a large beast, with many members, each with a role to play...............

Thanks Clive.. Is there an actual paint colour code reference for the Matt White???

Nope just H1/8010-99-225-1791 Paint, finishing, white, matt, air drying, 5 litres

That is the only format of paint listed for snow terrains in Painting of Service Vehicles AESP 0200-A-221-013

Only one mentions a BS reference, but they all say Military White???

The first link refers to "White BSC381C" I have no idea what they mean by that as it is meaningless as no colour code is given it just refers to the British Standard that would apply to many different colours within that specification.

BS 381 in 1931 was the British Standard for "Colours for ready mixed paints.

BSC 381C was introduced in 1948

It was amended in 1964 for "Colours for specific purposes"

In 1980 the Standard was revised & renamed "Colours for identification, coding & special"

In 1988 the Standard was revised again & then again in 1996.

Perhaps you should ask the first seller, what is the specific code of the paint he is selling within British Standard 381C?

Been spraying and cleaning up today......Discovered the Greenhouse makes an excellent spray booth......

I believe these Lucas switches are still available, but can't remember which vintage vehicle site I spotted them last!

.........................................I remember now.............. http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=020&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Switches&agCode=0535&agName=Brake+Light+Switches&pCode=31893 .............

They do however clean up okay with a little TLC.

Will rig up a little 12v test lamp to see if they work when circuit opened and closed.

Before Condition and after :-D

20120408_173933.jpg

Photo of sprayed stuff to follow;

Edited by Rover8FFR
added link