Vehicle ID

dadandlad

As a young boy we used to visit my uncle who sadly passed away a few years ago.

Everytime we visited i always asked to see the picture, you can see why i was fascinated as a child.

Anyway it has now come into my posession which im very pleased about,i guess it was taken during ww2.

Can anyone throw any light on what the vehicle is other than a Leyland

Your input greatly appreciated

Thanks Mark

003 (Small).JPG

I believe the truck is a Leyland 3 ton A type (I stand to be corrected!)

A bonneted 3 ton lorry was approved for the War Office subsidy scheme in 1912. This was better known as the RAF Type which originally had a 32bhp 4 cylinder petrol engine and worm drive but in final form had a 36bhp engine, cone clutch, 4 speed crash box and double reduction spur and bevel rear axle.

Cheers chaps

We know the picture is not from a film as my uncle and his friends set it up and developed it.

I believe there is a show at the Leyland motor museum in May which i plan to attend so will probably take it along there and see if anyone can help

Cheers Mark

Cheers chaps

We know the picture is not from a film as my uncle and his friends set it up and developed it.

I believe there is a show at the Leyland motor museum in May which i plan to attend so will probably take it along there and see if anyone can help

Cheers Mark

Rats. Just spent the last day looking for films with fictional giant scorpions in. There are actually quite alot.

And now you tell me it is real,:argh: now I got to go back and check all the David Attenborough documentaries as well.

Mike

The truck is a Leyland Class A, War Office subsidy class vehicle. The term RAF Leyland refers to those trucks brought back from the War Office and reconditioned by Leyland after hostilities ceased.

As this has electric lighting and pneumatic tyres, it shows as a rebuild, along with the military style body and canopy.

The curved front axle also indicates a 4 ton vehicle, however the bonnet does appears to a mismatch. The top section of the bonnet should be flat ln both directions, where this has a slope from the scuttle towards the radiator. It does not fit well around the radiator either. The radiator should have cast alloy side panels, where as this one shows only a black section. Perhaps a radiator of a latter pattern has been installed, and this would account for the il-fitting bonnet.

These comments are made from observations from our own collection of such Leylands.

Doug

Interesting! This is a fairly well know picture, appearing in several journals over the years. I suspect it was produced in reasonable numbers (I've seen copies on ebay before now); and no doubt has caused many a tall story to be spun.