Military truck body?

nz2

I have recently acquired this truck body. No labels have been found to show a builder, however on the sliding widows are MOT 73; laminated .38; register no 298; Auction Glass.

On the window frames are small metal plates; Young Windows; Wishaw Scotland.

A Google search lists Youngs of Wishaw, but no further information.

The unusual feature of these windows is the four parts to the sliding section and that they open from the centre. Looking through photographs of coaches I have yet to find a similar sliding window set.

One suggestion to me as to it use was for the transporting of air crew to Sutherlands and similar larger aircraft. Another ex RNZAF employee looked at the box, and he like wise thinks it could be ex air force , but doesn't recall any about from the early 70's when he joined.

My thoughts as to construction design would be late 50's into the 60's

If not Air Force it could be for another Government department. I originally thought of a mobile clinic or similar, but why with two doors at the front, if it has only a few people inside.

The Scottish windows could link it back to being British built, and later to NZ perhaps through Singapore as that base closed down. Otherwise an import of the windows and a locally built body.

Doug

Truck  blue body move alt eml Feb 2011 210.jpg

just seen a similar body on milweb

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=56595&cat=4

not sure if connected

Thanks for the link.The use could be much the same pattern.

The design shows a few differences, mine having rounded corners as opposed to the square corners of the advertised one. Also it appears to a door at the back where mine has two doors one each side towards the front.

As for the truck it was on I would suspect something like a Bedford O series.

Doug

Not much help I know, but the windows of that type of opening were the usual common arrangement on railway carriages. Not relevant to a road vehicle but may relate to the builder and their usual type of work? Might give a lead in?

The first thing that struck me was that they were railway carriage windows. Maybe Scottish railway coach builders or bus bodies constructors would be the way forward to finding the history of the body.

The style of that body, if it was UK built it might be Rollalong or Pilot.

Why do you suspect O-type?

Bedfords were the mainstay of Government vehicles in N.Z, in the period in question.

The wheel base for this body is too long to fit on for a Bedford LM so the O appears to fit the need.

Doug