Leak fix required.

mike65

Question

Well after cleaning up a fuel tank, adding some protection to the rear, where holes normallly appear have added extra protection.

Added a small amount of petrol to get rid of old residue and sloshed it about and I know have a boot full of petrol. My boots a know worth about £5

As far as I can tell it is leaking along the seam in the bottom left (near side) rear corner

So now the dilema of what to do.

Do I get some of that sealant you slosh around the inside?

Has anybody used this stuff and if so how good was it?

or

Do I bite the bullet and buy a new mil spec tank for a S3 109?

All opinions welcome

Mike

leaks.jpg

13 answers to this question

I'd say repair is feasable. I've used the local agricultural engineer in the past. That was with a diesel tank off the Scammell though-they may not have been so keen with petrol. I'm sure Frost Automotive stock the stuff you're talking about but I've never tried it myself.

There are various liquid sealants that slosh round the tank. There is also a stuff called Petro leack or Petro fix. It comes in a small bottle and is grey. You use a specially impregnated cotton suplied with the stuff. I've used that and works very well. The other one I always keep a tube in the box is Plastic Steel. It comes in a clear plastic tube. The stuf has a grey outside and black inner. Breack a lump off and knead till it is a regular colour. I've used that to fix a inch square hole in a sump, worked perfectly.Far superoir to Plastic Padding as it sets under water and is more tolerant of dirt and oil.

Will follow up on a few of those,

Really need to use something liquid as hole is not visible from outside, as reinforcement plate is in way.

Cannot easily reach rear corner of tank via filler cap. Could probably try but may need fire brigade to get my arm back out.

Mike

I used the Frost fuel tank sealer in my off roader tank about ten years ago. Despite much hard and abusive driving, it hasn't leaked again.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8232&frostProductName=Fuel%20Tank%20Sealer%20%28US%20Quart,%20946ml%29%20%20&catID=25&frostCat=Tanks&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

Thanks guys, you both appear to have used the same stuff.

However did you just use this or did you use the whole kit?

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8223&frostProductName=Car%20Tank%20Repair%20Kit&catID=25&frostCat=Tanks&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

Mike

Thanks guys, you both appear to have used the same stuff.

However did you just use this or did you use the whole kit?

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8223&frostProductName=Car%20Tank%20Repair%20Kit&catID=25&frostCat=Tanks&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

Mike

The first time I used it was on a Bedford tank which had been sat outside since the 70s. I had the rest of the kit for other jobs, but did use them. The second time was on a very good M151 tank which rusted from the outside in. Didn't use anything but the sealer on that one.

I used the Frost product last year. We thought our tank was rusting inside so we got some 3 tins, then attacked it over a weekend. Once we got the tank off we found only minimal surface rust, not bad at all, but we did get a lump of plastic out of the tank, which must have been causing our fuel problems. Anyway we still use the stuff and the tank looked like new afterwards on the inside. In fact I still have 1 can you can buy if you want.

I think it would seal small holes or perforations, but our tank was not that bad.

I think the stuff Tony is talking about is called "petro-patch" and the in tank stuff is known as "slosh tank sealant" I used it in a bsa tank several years ago and it was fine ,

Nigel

Petro Patch, that's the bunny! Useful for a fair sized hole if you tack some ali mesh under it, or wrap round a screw and insert in hole.