Chieftain at Ellington Bank range in North Yorks

Meteor mark 4B

Has anyone any information on the Chieftain which can be seen at the above range. It bears the number W3 on the RH trackguard. The VRN does not correspond with the mark of the vehicle. It is a prototype, I think. The relevant authorities are saying very little, it seems, even denying its presence there.

Err..on my old comrades website, it says "attach a file" a couple of clicks and its done. Why all this photobucket stuff?

Meteor,

It is easier than using photobucket or whatever. When you write a new message, look under the message box and click on "additional options". You will see "Attach:" and an empty box, if you click browse to the right, it will bring up you computer files to insert photos from. when message is posted it will show a small pick on the message, but if you click it, it comes up to full size.

Richard

The VRN does not correspond with the mark of the vehicle. It is a prototype, I think.

A guess. Maybe it is a prototype built on the hull of an earlier vehicle.

I once saw a VRN beginning 02FD** and identified the vehicle from this as a Scorpion. (02FD** to 04FD**) However, when the camera zoomed out, the 30mm cannon stunned me, as Scimitars were registered in something like the 05FD** to about 08FD** range. And it simply didn't look right for a Scimitar.

Turned out to be a Sabre, converted from a Scorpion by replacing the retired 76mm gun turret with the 30mm cannon turret from a Fox.