Combat Dress - What do you know?

Panzer nut

Hi

I am just wondering what people know about the development and introduction years of various combat dress. I have some general ideas, but I am unsre as to the whether it is just myth or misinterpretation.

1952 Pattern Combat Dress

1960 Pattern Combat Dress

1966 Pattern Combat Dress (1960 Pattern DPM)

1968 Pattern Combat Dress

(1974/74 Pattern Combat Dress?? off shoot to 1968 never classified)

1984/85 Pattern Combat Dress

1990 Pattern Combat Dress

1994 Pattern Combat Dress (Off shoot to 1990 Patt)

CS95 (CS = Clothing System or Combat Soldier??)

1952 Pattern consited of Smock, Trousers and Hood, in olive Satine (polyester, acetate, nylon, and rayon). Influenced by the American M1943 Combat uniform and as a result of experiences in the Korean war. Issued for trial purposes.

1960 Pattern consited of Smock and trousers in Olive Cotton(?). Developed in 1958 and was a further development of the 1952 pattern. Hood issued for use with the 60 patt was the 1952 patt. Issued from 1960 (?) onwards.

1966 Pattern was first full DPM uniform. Consited of Smock and trousers made from Cotton???. Was a furthur development of the 1960 pattern and in fact is labeled 1960 pattern. Issued for trials from 1966 to ? (?) Double layered with inside material made of ???? in a shiny brownish colour

1968 Pattern. Consists of Smock, Trousers, Hood and Cap. Made in DPM material. Using the same cut of cloth as 60 pattern but with a few alterations. Trined lined with an additional layer of olive cotton.

Issued for use from 1972 till late 1980's.

(??) 1974/75 pattern Basic 68 pattern due to better production processes, material colour change, no concernable differences. (Could this be when labels changed??? from just Size 1 to 9 to Size and Nato??)

1984 Pattern (Known widely as 1985 Pattern) Introduced for use from 1986 to late 1990's (?), consits of Smock and Trousers. Made out of cotton. Developed as direct experiences in the Falklands war. Velcro cuffs, Billowed pockets, half lined trousers, dpm lining at shoulders. Fell aprt all too easily, so squadies preffered older kit.

1990 Pattern (?) Revamp of the 1984 pattern consits of Smock and trousers, made from cotton in more robust material DPM even darker colour, jackets had two vertical zipped pockets either side of the main zip. Trousers did not have a lining and had draw strings at the waste and ankles.

1994 Pattern (?) 1990 pattern but different colour. Brown is more reddish and Ochre is more mustard in colour.Inside of garments is Mustard in colour.

CS95, First introduction of modular system using all new materials, Ripstop, Gortex and Fleece. Green is more of an apple green in colour.

Consited of tropical style trousers and shirt, Smock/jacket, Gortex Trousers and Jacket, Fleece jacket.

Comments and corrections welcomed.

Ta

Jon

I remember a fairly rare issue in the mid 60s of a peaked hat to match the old green combat suit and made of the same material. It was very like the German wartime issue with a stiff peak. I don't know whether or not they were issued on trial as I never saw many blokes wearing them and eventually they disappeared. Doubtless most RSMs hated them - the usual method by which many trialled clothing items went west. When our mob were issued with the DPM kit, which I never clapped eyes on till about 1970, the peaked cap that came with it was regarded as a definite no-no. The sleeves of the jacket were usually too long as well but naturally, turning back the cuffs was forbidden.

Yes, that's the one. As I mentioned, I saw only very few blokes with them so I don't know if there were any regiments who got a proper issue. The only picture I can find with anyone wearing one is on the photo gallery of the Glosters' site. I thought they were quite smart and practical for exercises compared to a beret, and the fold down flaps would have kept the wind out of your ears in BAOR. But when did the Army ever put practicality before tradition?

Yes, I've seen pictures somewhere along the way of blokes wearing them during the Korean War. I think the British issue parka, with the wired hood, was designed for sevice there too. They were still around during my time but as rare as rocking horse sh1t.

Just on the subject of cold weather issue, does anyone remember "cobbly wobbly" boots? Boots.C.W.W or Cold.Wet.Weather. were designed for Korea too I believe but the Chinese very inconveniently called it a draw before they could be issued. They were horrible things, made especially two sizes bigger to accomodate thick socks, so if you took a nine you got a pair of elevens! They were also much lower than ammo or DMS boots and very unpopular because walking through a puddle would see the water come over the top. There were bales of the things in the Army&Navy stores in the 60s for ten shillings a pair. They couldn't give them away. The last pair I saw was in the late 60s on a bloke in Tidworth who took size fourteens and they were all that would fit him!

S95.

Green fleece, green leather gloves.

Canadian style buttons

S2000.

DPM Fleece, black leather gloves.

Ripstop or garbadine trousers.

SAS & other units begin to trial Multicam as a replacement of DPM & Desert DPM for Afghan.

Peacoc.

Trial camouflagues for SAS and other units including webbing & clothing

MTP.

Introduced 2009 as the first major change in camouflagued material since DPM.

Quality is generally poor & you can have three shades of material in one shirt.

This will formally replace DPM from 2012.

You haven't even touched Desert DPM!

CS95 = Combat Soldier 95 (as in 1995), which is when it was 1st designed/introduced.... the shirts are good, but stinging nettles will get your legs through the trousers, unless you wear longjohns or goretex overtrousers, (or both)......:shocked: ouch!

MTP.

Quality is generally poor & you can have three shades of material in one shirt.

This will formally replace DPM from 2012.

Have to disagree with you there old bean, I've just recieved my MTP kit for my next tour and have to say the current personal equipment is the best I've ever been issued with. "3 shades of material in one shirt"?? I think you must have had a rough deal as the kit I've got is very good.

Quite surprised at being issued with the old "crap hat" but in MTP, as discussed earlier in this thread I recall.

Quite surprised at being issued with the old "crap hat" but in MTP, as discussed earlier in this thread I recall.

The Para's kit issued for the current tour had lads walking round Colchester with three different colour prints in one shirt.

Still not as good as the helmet covers that don't fit the new helmet. :nut:

1984 Pattern (Known widely as 1985 Pattern) Introduced for use from 1986 to late 1990's (?)

I was wearing 84 pattern from mid-85. I preferred the previous issue jacket (but the 84 pattern trousers that didn't come up to your nipples) but I knew I would be posted in November 1985 and I wanted my new combats nicely faded before I got there so that I wasn't mistakenly identified as a noob pay clerk with two years' service under my belt (turned out I was posted to the Professional Training Wing at the depot, full of noobs, so it was a good call).

This was a REME backwater: I suggest that general availability was 85 not 86.

I thought the original issu CS95 fleece was a DPM style print, then supplanted by the plain green one? I certainly haven't seen a DPM one for ages.

Green fleece came first along with the green leather gloves (S95)

Rapidly replaced by the DPM fleece and black gloves after complaints by the soldiers.

Same as Green PLCE webbing being superseded by DPM webbing.