My Cletrac project.

M.Rimmer

I took delivery of this a couple of weeks ago..

SDC12543.jpg

I have known about it for nearly six years but due to a house move and other commitments I was unable to do anything about it until now.

Under the pale blue paint it still carries both pre and post 1949 RAF markings,so far I have had limited success in tracing information on the use of Cletrac's by the RAF but it would appear the RAF had them in 1945 and it seems they may have been passed to the RAF following USAAF service.

SDC12609.jpg

I have been very lucky to buy many of the missing parts such as lights but there are still other parts needed. At present the plan is to get it running and collect the missing parts over time as they turn up.

Edited by M.Rimmer
To add pictures

Hi John,

Yes I believe it was,another forum member also saw them and kindly sent me some details. Prior to 1984 I have no history,I have it's early RAF registration 182059 and the later one 45 AN 79 but the RAFM have no records for the earlier numbers and the record card is missing for the later one!.

Do you have any further details of the 1984 auction?.

Thanks,

Matt.

Good to see it in the light of day finally!!

Best you pull your finger out and get it restored and source a windscreen ready to mount the cannopy frames I am picking up next week!!

Yours will be up and running long long before mine, so lets hope your tracks are good and I can come and give it a test drive!

We all just need someone to bit the bullet and get new tracks manufactured.

Keep up the good work.

Pull my finger out?! you know I move slower than a slow thing Paul!. Glad to hear the canopy frames are coming along,did you get my PM about the footrest from the US?.

I'm hoping we maybe able to get the Cletrac started on Saturday and I'll get some detail pics of the side panel catches for you. One question,do you have the part and/or model number for the Stewart Warner speedo unit? I have removed it from mine and the case is sound so hopefully it can be rebuilt but I'd like to see if the same unit was fitted to any other vehicles.

Do you want some pics and drawings of the original seat backs? I will be looking to get a set made for mine.

Matt.

My parts book is currently on loan to Bill Kemball to help his restoration so I can not get the Stewart Warner part number at this moment in time. Hopefully next week I will be able to get over to Bill's and retrieve the parts manual.

The case on mine is shot but the internal guts are all working even though most of the numbers have come off. I'll dig it out and send you a few photo's, I seem to remember it only had under 1000 miles on it.

Probably most of them were from civillian use on the farm until the track broke!

Hi John,

Yes I believe it was,another forum member also saw them and kindly sent me some details. Prior to 1984 I have no history,I have it's early RAF registration 182059 and the later one 45 AN 79 but the RAFM have no records for the earlier numbers and the record card is missing for the later one!.

Do you have any further details of the 1984 auction?.

Thanks,

Matt.

I did a brief article a couple of years ago for Classic Military Vehicle about the auction. I have a copy of the catalogue in front of me but unfortunately it is not possible to identify each individual cletrac. Harry Ellard was the bloke that bought them around 1948/9 and kept them in a building since then until his death at Christmas 1983. All of his effects were auctioned in July 1984 when the vehicles went and April 1985 when everything else went.

John,

Re post 15

Does lot number 533 or Lot number 902 mean anything in connection with the Ellard auction?

mtia

David Molyneux

Not really I am afraid. During the sale in 1984, they were lots 116 to 125 and were identified by tie on luggage type labels. I guess you are referring to the stenciled on numbers on the body or engine cover? I remember the markings but they relate to the auctions in the 1940's where Harry Ellard obtained them in the first place, not the sale in 1984. I have looked at photos I took in 1968 before anything was disturbed but cannot make out any of these stencilled numbers although I can see 687 or 987 in the middle of one front bumper bar.

• 2 months later...

After several delays we finally got the Cletrac running yesterday,the first time it has been started in over ten years. I have changed the oil,replaced the plugs and HT leads and obtained the correct starter switch from the US. The engine runs very well with good oil pressure but the clutch is stuck,we did drive it by starting in gear and the steering operates as it should.

I was very lucky to find someone in the US who was breaking an M2 and have obtained many of the detail parts missing from mine including a full set of lights and mountings,toolbox,flag pole carrier,horn,pre-cleaner etc and have also bought a set of repro top bows(thanks to Paul and Adrian!).

The next major task will be the clutch and while we have it stripped down the fuel tank will be cleaned,new fuel lines made and wiring replaced. The original exhaust system is present but in a poor state so it can at least be used as a pattern for a repro to be made.

Congratulations Matt, you beat me to it!!!

No surprise there as my enigine is in bits!!

It would be great if there was a chance of a video being posted on youtube??? Don't ask me how to do it.

I have just received, today, two of the starter switches.

I have however beaten you to a rear mounted compressor! Just had a PM to say it is in the country ready for collection!! Will post some pics when I get it. The next one I find is yours!

Hi Paul,

I have never posted anything on youtube but will see what I can do,but bear in mind I'm a complete technophobe!.

Glad you got the switches. Did you get the Clum one for a Clark as well?.

Yes all I need now is a compressor and a generator,and a battery cover,windscreen....and enough fuel to run the thing!.

Matt.