Import taxes US to UK.

Enigma

From my experience they charge you 20% of whatever the declared value is... but I've had heavy things shipped as a gift, and been charged 20% of the shipping. There's also an £8 handling fee each time, even if you only owe £1 in duty!

Say you buy for 150US $ and get it sent to the UK and have to pay taxes and what not.

How much would you pay?

A percentage over the item price only or a % over item and shipping?

Or maybe a fixed amount.

Enlighten me.

How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on what you are importing (to set the duty and VAT rate), whether it's a commercial transaction or a gift, the total amount to be paid, and who is collecting the money on behalf of HMRC.

If in doubt ask HMRC and you will find them very helpful.

Do NOT try to "pull a fast one" - if you get noticed there will be all kinds of trouble, not limited to impounded goods, the maximum import charge they can think of and probably penalties on top of that.

Small items and stuff that generates less than about 17 GBP tends to be ignored if it is not obviously a commercial shipment.

Books are VAT exempt but possibly attract import duty.

New radio equipment attracts import duty and VAT.

"Collectors Items" (you need to check if your purchase will fit in this category, it covers stamps, coins, ancient stuff, etc.) is exempt from import duty but liable for a special VAT rate of 5% (Yes, five percent!) At least, it was when I imported a 19 set from the USA some years ago. Customs lady exceedingly helpful.

Hope this is some help.

Chris