Where to fit Jeep Jerry can and Fire Extingusher

Maverick

To all Jeep owners I would like to know some information please.

The Father-in law has a Ford Jeep marked up British and he wants to fit a WW2 brass fire extingusher and jerry can holder and clip for the strap, the Jeep has no holes for these items so everything needs to be drilled.

So can anyone give me measurements / pictures etc of where it all goes ??

Where should the jerry can holder and clip for the strap be fitted. I know roughly where it goes but measurement would be great on this???

Where should the Fire Extingusher be fitted and which way up ??? On the wing ????

Many thanks in adavance

From the factory I believe the extinguisher went up under the dash, like the first aid kits. Don't quote me on that though... www.jeepdraw.com would have that kind of info.

But in the field they were frequently moved to the drivers fender, or any other out of the way location.

Jerry cans were also fitted all over. The rear panel, on the fender step, lashed to the bumper/grill, across the hood etc etc etc.

IIRC mid/late 42 was when the rear mounted gas can holder was installed. A few months later the reinforcing kit was added because the rear panel was cracking due to the weight/vibration.

Edited by deadline

From the factory I believe the extinguisher went up under the dash, like the first aid kits. Don't quote me on that though... www.jeepdraw.com would have that kind of info.

But in the field they were frequently moved to the drivers fender, or any other out of the way location.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at Jeep draw ?? Ive seen the Extinguisher on the fender too but didnt know if that was the standard ??

thanks

A early jeep (till half 1942?) didn't have a Jerrycan or holder, they did have the Ford or Willy's script.

They were retrofitted.

If the one you mentioned is a early one you could consider NOT installing one on account of drilling holes which never were there in the first place.

Hi,

The thing that you all think is the Fire Extingusher on the wing is a Decontamtion unit. The Fire Ex was located on the inside panel drivers side near the reinforcing gussets held on with 6 round head screws. Early Jeeps, Willys Slat Grills without glove box had the bracket on the passenger side, it was moved when the glove box was introduced. If your dads jeep has the name on the back panel, I personally wouldn't put a Jerry can on it, but off course thats up to you.

Regards,

Dave