Sewing thread

marmon

Question

Evening all,

I need to make some repairs to a reinforced vinyl cab top, a couple of patches where it chaffs on the frame and a complete re-stitch, I have two industrial machines one being a walking foot Singer which I think will be best for the job. My questions are, what thread type and size number do I need and who can I mail order it from? would the standard foot machine be better?

I have some VL 69 polyester with UV and a similar size spectra which I use for sails, would this be suitable or should it be Nylon and heavier so as not to rip the material?

Thanks in advance,

Quentin

4 answers to this question

After far too many hours on the Internet, strange lot on the upholstery forums, it must be the glue...

Anyway I've managed to answer my own question I think, so I thought I would post it in case it is of use to others.

Terko is a polyester (terylene) cored cotton covered thread that apparently has the strength of polyester but with the added feature of the cotton swelling and sealing the needle holes when wet.

It's also available in different colours and sizes, UV protected and recommended for tents and awnings in size 25.

Only place I found that I could order on line and post to France was J Hewit and Sons.

My only connection with them is they just took £20 of me for a big spool.:D

CANVAS REPAIRS I HEAR YOU SAY! LOL... A company called 'Hamiltons Textiles' they are based at Gibraltar Barracks, Camberley, Surry. They have just repaired 2 of my 9x9 tents. The staff couldn't do enough for me, the service was great. They do any canvas repairs i believe. so give them a call on:- 01252 863036. Say that Trevor the barber recommended you (No, i'm not on any commission,lol) they will laugh as I said to them i'd be on here helping guys out with tent or canvas repairs. All the best Trevor the barber

Evening all,

I need to make some repairs to a reinforced vinyl cab top, a couple of patches where it chaffs on the frame and a complete re-stitch, I have two industrial machines one being a walking foot Singer which I think will be best for the job. My questions are, what thread type and size number do I need and who can I mail order it from? would the standard foot machine be better?

I have some VL 69 polyester with UV and a similar size spectra which I use for sails, would this be suitable or should it be Nylon and heavier so as not to rip the material?

Thanks in advance,

Quentin

Hi Guys,

Recently I have used a company that have repaired 2 of my 9x9 tents. (Now up for sale, message me!). I see a few guys on here say they are looking for a company to repair their canvas on their Land Rover or Tents, now I would like to share with you guys a company called :-

'HAMILTONS TEXTILES'

Gibraltar Barracks, Camberley, Surry.

Tel :- 01252 863036

The staff couldn't do enough for me and I found all their prices were very cheap compared to most. So please give them a call if you need any canvas repair and say Trevor the barber recommended you (No, i'm not on any commission,lol) They will laugh, as I said I'll go on here and pass on their details to help you all out.

(This advert was not produced by the company above or any staff who work there)