STORMER HVM vehicle

robin craig

This is by way of a walk around and explanation of the Stormer vehicle.

There is to my knowledge only Dan in the UK and myself involved with them at this time. There are no manuals around as yet, maybe that will change.

In the hope that this may be of use to other who follow, i'm starting this thread as a bit of colour on the vehicle and also to answer some questions. This will be the general section. Any particular issues that are ongoing I will post in a separate thread so as to easier file the various components for search in later time.

I will be opinionated as I am often noted for, Im just being blunt.

Hope some answers and enjoyment will follow.

Robin

Edited by robin craig

First off, the Stormer looks like a CVRT Spartan but isnt, see separate thread. Its close but different.

It looks similar to a Spartan but has an extra roadwheel station and is wider and powered by a Perkins tutbocharged diesel. It is a curious mix of improvements and regresions and uses parts that if you have been around MVs for a while you will recognise and chuckle.

One that made me smile is the hand throttle which is a Land Rover 90 / 110 FFR part.

The driver and commanders seat are a big improvement, in that they have a hydraulic pump to raise and lower them and are mounted on cylindrical tube runners and are way better than the old CVRTs.

The rear of the hull is not vertical but rather has a back angle which I think was likely done to make the rear door safer and open easier. Mounted on the inside of the rear door is a step that folds down if your vehicle has the missile launcher which ours does not.

When you receive a vehicle like we did, nature may have deposited itself on the vehicle, melted and refrozen, so thats why we unloaded ours from road transport using A bars for 100 metres to avoid anything frozen causing problems.

As better pictures are taken I will upgrade, but here is a start

R

aaaaa stormer.jpg

stormer left rear.jpg

stormer seat.jpg

Edited by robin craig

I guess it was fortunate that ours was marked as a runner. We have purchased a different vehicle that was marked with "oil pressure" that threw a rod but thats another story!

The army number for ours was srayed over as per disposal policy, but with some proprietary chemcals it was exhumed!

As we received the vehicle's exhaust goes to the right and down. Im thinking of turning it up and putting a flapper on it, any comments?

Its funny how the antennae tube that is so familiar to Ferret owners and orginates from around the end of WW2 is still fitted to such a modern vehicle.

R

stormer runner.jpg

stormer id 87 kj 70.jpg

stormer rear.jpg

This drive spare drive sprocket came with ours, not sure if it came from a CVRT or if it will fit but its all part of the eye candy. The double punch marks are supposed to be used in conjunction with a gauge to measure wear in the sprocket. I have not seen a gauge, does anyone have one spare?

Most of the stowage positions are straight forward, this one on the front right confuses me as something goes here between the end stops but im lost as to what.

On the rear left bin is this bracket, again a mystery to me.

R

stormer rear bracket.jpg

stormer front right.jpg

stormer drive sprocket.jpg

Edited by robin craig

The bracket on the front with the stop ends holds a bag of camo net poles , not sure about the bracket on the rear .

Improvents that I think are a big plus are the drivers controls . ie. light controls on the steering yokes . and as you said the seats are a big + also the rear bulhead is removable for access to the rear of the engine.

Also the dashboard is demountable and on a coiled wire so can be mounted on the outside for driver to monitor the dash while driving

Edited by xtreme

Robin

Interesting thread keep the pics coming. I always thought the two punch marks were there to help with correct alignment of the two sprockets..?

Tim

They're actually wear indicators, you will obviously know that the sprockets can be turned to increase the life, that's the reason for the two punch marks. As an added bonus they can also be used as a quick visual reference to check you have both sprockets lined up.

Robin, you don't need a gauge just a visual inspection, if there is a gauge I've never seen one and I've been 1st line all my career, that said I'll check when I'm back in work after Xmas leave.

Edited by recymech66

Reccymech,

The inferior M113 thingy has similar marks and there is a gauge, that according to a former M113 wagon driver mate of mine.

Yes im aware of the flipping around to increase life, same principle can be used on bulldozers but most people dont 'cos they cant be bothered.

Great responses guys

R

• 2 weeks later...