International (IHC) halftrack restoration project

Hello

Here is a few pictures of an International halftrack i have started to restore. I have owned this halftrack for 3 years. Originaly it was an M14/M17 but it will restored as an M5 personel carrier. I am also after parts so if anyone has or knows of anything, please give us a shout :) If anyone wants to know more about my halftrack or see any more pics then please ask.

halftrack 1.jpg

halftrack 2.jpg

halftrack 4.jpg

halftrack 1.jpg

Originaly it was an M14/M17 but it will restored as an M5 personel carrier.

Hi Jamie,

Good to see an International Half-Track under restoration. Do you intend to restore it as a Commonwealth vehicle. Just in case you did not know, see http://news.webshots.com/photo/2438641570039564579wrfpZE for a good internal view of an M14 converted as APC. Possibly easier to do that the M5?

Regards,

Hanno

Thanks for your message. Will look into that. Havnt really decided what im going to do with it yet. Thanks again.

My pleasure.

The M14 MGMC with twin .50 cal Maxson AA turret was primarily manufactured for Lend-Lease use, the United Kingdom being the main recipient. But the British army did not have a use for the AA half tracks and removed the Maxon turrets. Converted M14s were used a GS load carriers, personnel carriers, Command Vehicles, Armoured Observation Posts, Ambulances, etc. by various Commonwealth armies, including the British, Canadian and most likely others like the French and Polish.

The M14 rear hull plate did not have a door but the half-tracks often had a door added as part of the conversion process.

AFAIK no M14's are preserved in any of the British conversions, in my opinion it would make a great restoration subject with lots of variants to choose from.

Edited by mcspool
spelling

Thanks for the infomation. :) I been thinking about doing it as a M14 without the turret. I have got pictures of the british using them like it. I also like the idea of the ambulance look as i cant say i have seen one like it before? As it will never be 100% original i have also been thinking about turning it into an M5 or M5A1 and using it for re-enactor purposes, so many people can get the enjoyment out of it. All ideas, pictures and information welcome :)

I also like the idea of the ambulance look as i cant say i have seen one like it before?

See http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157 for information about the Ambulance conversion.

You will need to do research as the information you require is not readily available, but that is part of the fun (in my opinion anyway). I am sure many people and organisations are willing to help if you are going to recreate one of these interesting conversions.

HTH,

Hanno

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi white star did you used to own a d u k w and live in pendennis road?

No, I lived about 1/4 mile away, but I know the one you mean, it was parked at the end of the drive out in the open.

My scout hut was just over the road and we used to sneak out of meetings to go and spy on the DUKW!!!

I dont know where it ended up?

Cheers

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

A second bit of good news was last Friday I went to pick up a second halftrack. This halftrack was found in a scrap yard after being used for taking telegraph poles up mountains in Wales. it caught fire so was taking to the scrap yard, but a passer by seen it and bought it because he didn't want to see it be cut up. There is not enough there to rebuild it but the chassis good and that is what I want for mine. There is some other good bits on it but a lot is too far gone where it has been left outside. the top engine cover has rotted away, the core plugs are pushed out, the gear box is solid, the steering column is bent, the rubber on the rollers have separated from the metal wheels ect. One surprise we did have though is when we removed the back deck, the original floor along with radio junction boxes, locker lids ect still in it. Here is some pictures of it and the work me and my uncle Jason Jefferies did the weekend.

37608_1429540872626_1655992434_1040228_7896221_n.jpg

37608_1429540952628_1655992434_1040230_1937889_n.jpg

DSCF1655.jpg

DSCF1657.jpg

DSCF1662.jpg

DSCF1668.jpg

DSCF1673.jpg

DSCF1675.jpg

DSCF1677.jpg

DSCF1680.jpg

DSCF1683.jpg

DSCF1685.jpg

To be honest I don't know? The guy that had this halftrack on his land got loads of stuff but he don't actually own a great deal of it. It was there the first time I went to see the halftrack. It was pushed into the field and left, I think in had engine or gear box problems. When I went back over Friday to pick the halftrack up, it was gone.

To be honest I don't know? The guy that had this halftrack on his land got loads of stuff but he don't actually own a great deal of it. It was there the first time I went to see the halftrack. It was pushed into the field and left, I think in had engine or gear box problems. When I went back over Friday to pick the halftrack up, it was gone.

Let me know if you ever hear of it coming up for sale!