Ferret Mk1 Cover support

robin craig

Gents,

As we know there is a canvas type cover with a rope around the edge that gives weather cover for the open top of a Mk1 Ferret.

There is a metal pole that is supposed to support that cover.

Can anyone show how that pole fits to the vehicle, it goes from side to side we know because of the loops on the under side of the cover that match to it, but we just cant see how the pole attaches.

Thanks

R

Gents,

As we know there is a canvas type cover with a rope around the edge that gives weather cover for the open top of a Mk1 Ferret.

There is a metal pole that is supposed to support that cover.

Can anyone show how that pole fits to the vehicle, it goes from side to side we know because of the loops on the under side of the cover that match to it, but we just cant see how the pole attaches.

Thanks

R

There SHOULD be a metal LOOP bracket on either side the the ends oon either side of the fighting compartment for the bar to drop into. (Bolted on)

I had these in one of the ferrets I acquired. But i sold them along with the cover when I fitted a Turret to one to revert it back to a 2/3 which it SHOULD have been. Sorry robin, as they are gone, i cannot provide a photo showing them.

Lewis many thanks for your pictures, you have clearly identified what we were looking for.

A mate of mine, Mark V Sten, who is on this forum from time to time, has the bar but not the brackets but the rubber has the notches. Im not sure if he has the welded blocks that the brackets attach to, and am wondering if they were fitted to all Mk1s .

Did you have to buy the mounting brackets that the tube slips into? Im wondering who has them for sale.

R

Actually Andy, as a fabricator, with a couple of decent pictures of the bracket removed from the vehicle I can mock it up and make an ersatz copy if they are not around.

Looking at it I would bet that there is only one part number and not a left and right as it looks as if the part is reversible so that it can go on either side.

I would be grateful of a drawing but that would be deluxe!

Many thanks and keep up the good work guys

Thanks

R

Hi chaps,

Certainly, should be going to the unit tomorrow so I'll see what I can do, if I remember to take the camera that is! It shouldn't be too hard to unbolt so I'll get the measurements if I can, to be honest even if it doesn't look spot on fabricated it should do the job. I think they were already on the vehicle when we got it.

Regards, Lewis

I suspect that it is relatively easy to make its being able to have a look at one to copy. As it is you have to datum points already welded to the hull as Mike says and if the rubbers already have a cut out you have you're measurements.

I think the one on the right is better than the one on the left

mk1_canvas_support.jpg

Edited by ferrettkitt

Looks like my job has already been sorted! :D If you look at its construction it is simply a piece of tube welded into a flat plate, should be fairly easy to fabricate. The opening in the tube for the canvas pole is 25mm, so in imperial terms, an inch. The bracket overall is approximately 90mm in length. I do have more pictures if needed.

Regards, Lewis

I think it would be good to save for the future, a good drawing of the part done properly. This may go against the flavour of one of my posts but the purist in me has come out and so I think it should be done.

Have we determined what the part number is from the catalogue?

Sorry to be a bother

R

Looks like my job has already been sorted! :D If you look at its construction it is simply a piece of tube welded into a flat plate, should be fairly easy to fabricate. The opening in the tube for the canvas pole is 25mm, so in imperial terms, an inch. The bracket overall is approximately 90mm in length. I do have more pictures if needed.

Regards, Lewis

Robin, With Lewis's dimentions, & Andys excellent drawing. You couldnt go wrong!

When painted up, NO ONE will give them a second glance! Easy as peas!....Mike

Thanks very much guys,

what thickness do we reckon the plate is?

Actually this thread started off by a question from a fellow forum user Mark V Sten when I visited him and looked at his Canadian Ferret. He has the support but not the bracket.

Yes it will be of use for me. I will attempt to buy an original and if that is not possible then I will fabricate one.

Regards

Robin aka rivett counter

• 5 years later...