World War One Winter Wonderland

Charawacky

Interesting picture of ford T Ambulances, one driver has got up early and cleared his of snow, but the rest must still be in bed!

Does anyone recognise the military vehicles and in which country the second photo is taken

Snow.jpg

W1 tanks.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Here is a nice line up of Locomobiles. It looks like the photographer thought that they did not have enough snow so added a bit more.

Snowy_Christmas.jpg

The 'somewhere in England' looks to be Grove Park. I've not got any details on 588 Coy ASC, so suspect it was formed at Grove Park as a LAMT Coy for the Home Front. Only comanies serving abroad were required to keep a diary, which may explain there being no diary for it, or it might just be the diary has been lost in the mists of time.

Interesting picture of ford T Ambulances, one driver has got up early and cleared his of snow, but the rest must still be in bed!

Does anyone recognise the military vehicles and in which country the second photo is taken

They're Renault FT17 (The little tanks), MkV (Large tanks) the armoured cars are Austins, I think.

I'm guessing it is somewhere in Russia, during our abortive intervention post 1917 Revolution.

I don't think these are Austin armoured cars - you'd expect to see twin turrets atop the hull rather than the single turrets that are visable. Actually, they have a second armanent almost out of sight at the rear, for I think these are locally made Estonian armoured cars based on a variety of chassis. Much more info here: http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=63528&p=3&topicID=31610803

The Estonians also used Mk V tanks.

Tony - good to see the chara postcard again!

Ref. post no. 5. I belive the entire snow scene is a total fake, most people think that this sort of thing has only come about with the digital age in photography but postcard publishers from the Edwardian period onwards were very adept at this sort of thing. I have an identical tramcar scene at Liverpool Pier Head both summer and winter with snow and Christmas Greetings added, also one publisher produced a 'Moonlight' series where you will find a crowded beach, promenade and fully laden tramcars in bright moonlight!.

Richard Peskett.

• 2 weeks later...