dress uniform

chevpol

ok folks,

was photographing the uniforms stored at my fathers today,(to put on my site), need help identifying the following dress uniform.

Ta folks

Mark

researched some of the medal ribbons, Order of St Micheal and St George, Military Cross, unknown, China War Medal (1900 Boxer Rebellion) unknown

2010_12010030.jpg

2010_12010032.jpg

2010_12010031.jpg

2010_12010030.jpg

2010_12010032.jpg

2010_12010031.jpg

Edited by chevpol
additional info

• 2 weeks later...

Not Navy, army rank on shoulder epaulettes.

Have you typed the latin motto which is on the button into google. That will give you a list of regiments or perhaps only one.

It's a frock coat, definitely Army.

Turn up the light on some of those davey lamps and we can see more detail:-D

Turn up the light on some of those davey lamps and we can see more detail:-D

I should have taken a better shot of the buttons etc.

Those davey lamps (mine safety flame lamps) are part of my fathers collection, over 300 different ones I think!!!

Mark

I should have taken a better shot of the buttons etc.

Those davey lamps (mine safety flame lamps) are part of my fathers collection, over 300 different ones I think!!!

Mark

any chance of a better pic of the medal ribbons as well. not sure of Order of St Michael and St John? medal ribbon looks like order of st. michael and st george.

Just thinking laterally, is it not Military but a Civilian Lord Leiutenants uniform? It's dated 1931 but doesn't have WW1 medal ribbons, suggesting whoevever had it was very elderly.

Also, it's a Davy lamp after Sir Humphery Davy, the inventor.

Hi,

i am sure they are Honi sont Q Maly Pense (forgive spelling please) this frock coat i think has to be one of the cavalry regts ?

Ashley

15th The King's Hussars (or Light Dragoons depending on the era)* bore the garter bearing the legend Honi soit qui mal y pense ** on their cap badge, carried forward to 15th/19th Hussars. But I wouldn't get too excited.

Istr that any "King's" regiment could bear the crown on its badge and any "Royal" regiment, the garter. 15/19H, being 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars bore both. It may have been the other way round. And it wasn't compulsory, so there will be King's (and Queen's) regiments and royal regiments which didn't.

Household Cavalry badges also include both the crown and the garter.

_____

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15th_The_King%27s_Hussars

** Evil on him who evil thinks.

any chance of a better pic of the medal ribbons as well. not sure of Order of St Michael and St John? medal ribbon looks like order of st. michael and st george.

It is St Micheal and St George, :blush:

Why would somebody with no WW1 ribbons have the M.C?

Mark

That is a very good question, which only lies on knowing whose coat it was. I know you have a name on that tailors label.

You could ask Hawkes, as they must have kept records. I acquired a battledress blouse with a very famous name and asked Huntsman if this was correct and it was.

Take a good pic of the medal ribbons and ask on the medal forum. http://www.britishmedalforum.com/

And the name. It looks like Napier?

My guess for the MC be for North West Frontier (India) service. I'm not sure if any MCs were awarded for Ireland in the 20s and I can't off hand think of any other campaigns 1918 - 1931!

If you can decipher a name, The London Gazette would tell you more about the award (and the regiment) but the search engine is a nightmare!

A bit of a mystery really:

The buttons are Edward VII - (1902 - 1910) and looking at the Medal Yearbook, the ribbons appear to be (l-r):

Order of St Michael & St George

Military Cross

Indian Distinguished Service Medal 1907

China War Medal 1900

Empress of India Medal - 1877

They are mounted in the right order, but I'm not sure about the MC (if it is the MC ribbon) and the sewing doesn't look quite right.

Ok, checked on another forum, (Medals)

2nd ribbon- 1897 Jubilee

3rd ribbon- 1902 Coronation

Not M.C.

Some debate about the last ribbon, but it's a case of precedent i think.

cheers for that, I thought it was M.C. because the site I looked at, it was the only one with it on.

Just ammended the picture caption on my site.

Mark

Edited by chevpol

Well the medal forum have come up trumps;

The Honourable H D Napier Captain 1st Central India Horse - CHINA 1900 No Clasp

In the late 1880s Lt H Napier along with two troops, 1 CIH, accompanied Lt-Col. Charles E Yates, Agent for HMG in Khurasan and Sistan, Persia to meet Russian representatives to discuss / conclude talks concerning the meeting of Russian / Indian Railways on the border. I therefore think it likely that this is an Imperial Russian decoration awarded in connection for the succesful negotiations. (KelatiGhilzie did the research for this, i have just cut and paste)

From Kelly's Handbook 1928, edited bits from entry

Lt Col. Hon. Henry Dundas NAPIER

CMG 1907,

served in operations in China 1900,

military attache to British Embassy at St Petersburg 1903-6

Order of St Anne class 2 (as stated means without swords)